1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When plowing "with" the storm do you salt after plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by maelawncare, Jan 4, 2014.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Got to thinking today while waiting for this storm. Should I salt as I plow with the storm?

We are expecting 8-10" and its supposed to come down when a lot of sunday business are opening. We will plow with it every 2" or so, but should I salt or wait till after the final plow. I usually salt after plowing like this, but our salt supply and every one else is running low. I don't want to salt just to salt.

What do you guys do?
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

If it's snowing hard, what's the point? You're just going to plow it off anyway. Depends how much snow you're getting per hr. and the temp outside I guess.
  3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

What he said.
    We wouldn't be getting paid for multiple saltings around here if we are salting when it is snowing heavy. Salt after final cleanup or just in front of doorways etc.
  4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Generally depending on time of day, snow fall rate and temperature we do not salt during plowing with the exception of drive lanes and handicap spots. Again every storm is different but usually we save the full salt for our cleanup pass at night.
  5. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

guys that charge for salt usually over salt. a few of my accounts are salt in so it take's a bit more thinking than just throwing down salt whenever you see snow flakes.
    like others said if its snowing to hard than its a waste. I usually salt when the snow stops or is ending. I'll put salt down on side walks in front of the store and handicap parking while its snowing
  6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

If we are doing multiple plows I think its good to salt after even if just a light application to keep traffic from bonding the snow to the pavement making the final cleanup harder. Also if you salt after every couple passes you will stave off a little accumulation for a short time....depends on how your contracts are written.
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^ this ^^^^
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I always wait until the last plow if it a big snowfall as well. One of the things that burns my butt is to see 1 local contractor throwing tons upon tons of salt in the middle of a storm just so they can charge for it. I know what the contract reads, and they are just wasting the business money.
  9. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

That's a good point too. In high traffic area's if its not snowing too hard, you can almost get away with just salt. the cars will melt most of the snow making an easy clean up. everyone's different just depends on the amount of snow,time,location,temp,contract
  10. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

This is why we get a shortage . I know a guy like this . plow then salt and three hours later their plowing all the salt to the curb.
  11. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Right now it is finishing up snowing in KC and has twenty mile an hour winds. It is 5 degrees, salting right now would be pointless.
  12. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Yea we didnt salt. Plowed all open accounts 3 times yesterday and still haven't salted them. Our high today was 1degree and low last night was -15. Salt was pointless. I've been plowing for 10 years and haven't had this yet. Now I know why the boys up north use sand, cause wit these temps, salt don't cut it.
  13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I do the same. Basically spread some salt in high traffic areas. It costs me a little more for seasonal jobs, but it cleans up nice.
  14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Our high today was -13 haha, before wind chills. I'm thinking we may need to start using sand if this cold keeps up. This is the first winter I remember where the effectiveness of salt has been questionable nearly every time we've salted this year. Also a fun fact (most may know this, but I didn't until last year) wind chill does not affect salt. Only the actual air temperature does. I think that's interesting.
  15. ByDesign

ByDesign Senior Member

This. Really cold temps or with heavy accumulation it really helps. I won't salt an entire lot, but entry/exit and all sidewalks.