1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When plowing a new driveway customer...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jeep_thing, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

Scenario- You get called to plow a new customer's drive, and there is already snow cover, and obviously not marked.

1. Do you ask the customer about edgings, borders, etc or just use best judgement?

2. Do you ask customer where they would like the snow put, or put it where you think best?

3. You get there and there is a car in the drive. Do you call the customer to move it, knock on door, or just back drag from it? Return later to clean it up, or no?
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

No, no, and no.
  3. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

I think you meant no , no, yes , no ,no ,no.
  4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

That depends on the amount of snowfall. If a customer waits till there is a foot plus on the ground to call then the price has tripled and they most likely will be a pita about future plowings anyway. Depending on where the car is parked we try to work around them. If thats not possible then yes they do need to move it. I will do a walk threw in that situation you never know where they may be a curb or well cap or anything else that can damage equipment. Threw years of experience i know where the snow needs to go the customer most likely has no idea on this.
  5. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

Thank you ^^ and let me ask you this please-

I went to visit my mom last year. Older suburban home, single drive straight back to detached garage. The garage is full of storage and she parks in the driveway next to the house. So I stop over there to retrieve something from the garage, and the snow had been stacked a few feet in front of it. To me that just appeared sloppy, it could have been pushed into the back yard. Now I have no idea what she paid, but my question is- is that common to push it up to the garage?
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You serious Clark? No it's not common to put snow in front of the door.

DERHNTR Junior Member

I get alot of these. 1 time shots, lake cabins, or out of towners. A walk around can normally help. Hate when they don't tell you its a circle drive :( I normally ask about dangers and hidden items. 3 foot snow covered ditches on unmarked drive can wreck your evening. PLOW SLOWLY
  8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Snow should never be piled against a garage/house. That can become a big liability as well as just being unprofessional. If extra time needs to be taken to do the job properly then explain this to the customer and price accordingly.