1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When parked, do you leave the plow up or drop it down?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by redbug2, Jan 26, 2011.

1. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

I know its a stupid question, but what is the best practice when you park? I have an E-47 unit with ST90 plow.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

why would you leave it up? i feel as tho this is pretty common sence.
  3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

The Western plow dealer around here recommended to leave it up on the new one we just bought for work, saying it is a lot harder to steal it when it is up then if it was down

my thoughts are if someone wants it bad enough to unhook it and drag it away from the front of the truck they would also be willing to bleed out the pressure if it was left in the up position
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Whether it's a plow,a loader bucket,a dozer blade,ANY implement that's hydraulically raised needs to come down on the ground when the operator is not in the cab.Not only a safety issue but it also saves on your suspension.Just common sense.
  5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

One day i was at a shopping place waiting for the gf to come out...I noticed buddy left his plow up and a kid's ball rolled under the truck...first thing the kid does is go under the truck! Would of been terrible accident, I dragged the kid out and put a piece of wood under his plow to hold it up..got a funny reaction when the truck owner came out to his truck, so I explained the situation. Don't think he will ever leave it up again.
  6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I always drop my plow if i'm sitting longer then the time of a traffic light.
  7. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

Always down, IMO ~BigD~
  8. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

9. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

OK, the danger aspect makes a lot of sense. I'll drop it when I park it.
  10. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

Up or down when parked??????

Something to consider, When you lower the plow, it does not know you are parked. If the power is on to the controler, the plow thinks you are plowing, and the "A co[l (black wire) is energized.The plow is in "float mode" this is ok if its only a couple of min, but if you leave the truck running to run in the house for supper, you can burn up a coil. This all depends on what type of controler you have. MOXIE
  11. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

12. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

an E47 will usually go down by itself. just kidding. best bet is to put it down. takes pressure off of the o rings and cylinder.
  13. bdschumaker

bdschumaker Junior Member
    from IL

After a e-60 pump stolen one week, and 2 weeks later st7.5 plow, e-47 pump & hoop stolen, I hesitate leaving it down when parked for the night, and i live in a good neighbor hood that is well lighted & fairly busy street with locks on my plow, pump & hoop. (venting...sorry)

So i understand the safety standpoint, but i now look at a little different. If they want it, i will make work harder for it. So i am split as far as leaving it up or down, just depends on my mood.
  14. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

To answer the question as to why I was asking about whether I would leave it up.

The benifits I saw were
    1) If you left it up you would not cycle the pump as much, therefore less wear. Of course probably fractional compared to total usage of plow but some wear just the saem.

2) Also the possibility of the blade getting frozen to ground. Lifting would cause strain on the pump but nothing the releaf valve could not handle. I guess you could always drop it on a few chunks of wood to stop a freeze. I know that with my bulldozer its very bad to attempt to move the tracks when frozen, but thats a bulldozer...

3) And now I see the security benifit. Surely would be harder to steal if in up position, but, if you know what you're doing you will know how to bleed the blade down?

4) If your running an errand, drop the plow, then, pump fails, ooops, your stuck. Would have to lever up the plow manually and choke up on the chain to get it home.

The negatives I now see are:

A) Safety. Would hate to see a child get hurt if a blade fell on him. (Biggest deciding factor)
    B) Extra Strain on the up piston seal.
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Down is the correct answer.
  16. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

always down..........................................
  17. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

DO most of you guys have power to the controller with the key off? Mine only works with the ignition on, (I have toggle switches)so I dont have to worry about burning up a coil or running down my battery when parked.
  18. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

I have power a 12 volt switch that lights up red when its on. Presently I have it connected to a constant live fuse, but I may switch it to one that is only live with the ignition on.

When you are driving down the road should you turn the power off on the pump? I have been turning the power off.
  19. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

As long as you dont have the plow in float there is no power going to the pump. I ASSume your switch powers up the controller just like my ignition switch powers my toggle switches and that sends power to the pump only when you hit the button or lock it in float
  20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

And what do you think happens when it's down while you're plowing??????