1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when or when not to plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GAULK, Nov 21, 2005.

1. GAULK

GAULK Junior Member

what is the least amount of snow on the ground that you will drop the blade? also what is the most amount of snow you will leave on the ground before you will spread salt? I guess im wonder what every one does for the little snow storms 1/2" - 1" any feed back would be great. The reason im asking is because i will be doing a resturant and the say for me to make the call on what and when to do .
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  2. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I have a 2" trigger unless asked to plow when less.
  3. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

If it's enough to pack down and get slippery, then you should plow. Especially if it's your call. BTW are you sanding/salting?
  4. GAULK

GAULK Junior Member

i will be salting i was thinking about 8 - 10 lbs per thousand if temps are 20 degrees and warmer and double that if colder does that sound about wright?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  5. schuitb

schuitb Member

I have a 2" trigger also and will have to visit parking lots throughout a big storm to keep it accessable.
  6. Joe Langton

Joe Langton Junior Member

I plow at one inch. If you do a one inch push you can still salt when you are done and you use less material. What if you get 1.5 inches of snow one day and 24 hours later you get 3.5, the customer wouldn't want you to bill for a 5 inch push, but if you dont plow the lot thats what you have to push right! Thats how I sell my 1 inch push.Make the customer see the value.
  7. leshond

leshond Junior Member
    from Midwest

This year will be my second year pushing snow I work a fulltime job but I get off work at 2pm and I would like to know how you do your pricing per residential drive way and how you price on parking lots.
  8. GAULK

GAULK Junior Member

let me ask this whats the most snow you will leave or have fall on the ground before you will salt 1/2" 3/4" I'm sure it also depends on the weather just trying to get a ruff idea on what to do on the little dust snows. I don't wont the customer to know I'm a rookie:blush2: thank again for all the help
  9. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

:dizzy: if the lot is slick i have to salt it ,it all depends on the lot conditions ,some lots that have more traffic tend to not be as bad as the ones with no traffic..
    i have 2 jobs that i have to worry about , the others are all contracted at 2 inches.So what im saying is go out there when it snows and see how the lot conditions are (drifting could be a problem) you never know unless you see how the lot reacts during the storm . In a resturant they have alot of traffic so make sure you have good insurance (just to be safe )!!!
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Unless the customer wants otherwise or specifies a deeper trigger or no salt all our lots are left clear. Weather it be with salt or plowing. Salting is quicker if you have a good base already and you can get away with it. Less than an inch we ussualy kill off with salt. Pre treating can really help out on those lil 1 inchers. And if you do need to do a wee bit of blading with a thick spot big deal. Try to sell service(keeping it clear) as apposed to salting or plowing.....much easier that way.
  11. GAULK

GAULK Junior Member

ratlover thanks, that was what i was told to keep the lot clear they would like to see the lines in the lot . that is why i keep asking what is smartest thing to do in order to handle dusting's up to 1". plow don't plow or gust salt I'm not sure what is the most effective way to handle this type of situation. thanks again guys by now I'm sure i keep repeating my self but this is very important to get this wright
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Salt it

If the lots lines are to be visable, than you should salt only for up an inch. The weather is the key factor though. If you get an inch of snow but the weather report is 34degrees and sun, don't bother. But if you get an inch of snow and the weather report is 30 degrees with another 2" tonight and it will stay cold for a couple more days than you want to salt.

I always put it heavy on the handicap spaces and main entrance walks, and lighter amounts where the cars park--I find that cars heat and dripping brine keep the spaces pretty clear by themselves. I also tend to put it heavy at the entrance and exits to the lot.

Because it is "your call" it means it is your @ss, so don't second guess yourself. Do however keep an open line of communication all winter with the lot manager as to how they feel your doing.
  13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Ditto to what he said about were and when he lays it on heavy. I also find pre salting is more effetive then dumping a ton on top(a pre salt or salting at the begining of the event and then maybe dust it later or dust the problem spots). But if it dosnt snow then you are skrewed. Although if it stays on the pavement and dosnt get washed off it will still work for you later. JMO but its better to over salt(in application and also when) it will ussualy be there for you next time.
  14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I usually salt commercial properties when we get even a 1/2 inch. I have a newly constructed auto parts store that just poured a whole lot of concrete so I plow that but I dont worry about residential until about 2 inches (Unless they are elderly, then I call them and ask what they want.:) )
  15. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

1inch and under = salt only.

1inch and over = plow & salt.

This is for Wendys and a retail/commercial building I do. They want to see the lines as well and want no ice spots even if is a mist if it is below32degrees we are to salt.
  16. daninline

daninline Senior Member

almost all my driveways are 3" trigger but a few wanted 2" and I have no problem with that.
  17. Manfre

Manfre Junior Member
    from pa

The easiest way to do this is go to the job and see if it is slippery and if it needs to be plowed or salted or both then you make the call if it needs to get done or not unless you just do what ever the owner wants who is paying you what they say goes
  18. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

We have a Wal-mart like that, LOL if they see a flake of snow falling from the ground they are on the phone calling the office ladies, it cracks me up every time i hear this, naturally we go salt them and they get a hefty bill every two weeks, Northern Ohio snow first snow fall was 11/17 just done billing last week and they owed use 4000 dollars and thats with only 3 snowfalls the rest of the time was salt. Good luck this year
  19. I wouldn't plow for Wal-Mart for any amount of money. They are a boil on the a$$ of America. Let the geeks shovel their own lots, they'll save money that way...they're all about keeping wages down and money in the Walton family's pocket. I HATE big business-period and won't even bid on commercial pest control accounts if it's over a 3 man operation. No use for the mega-rich at all.
  20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm not big on wall-mart eather, but let me ask this? you say you hate big business so I'll ask? what kind of truck, plow, and to be a smart a$$, but your shorts too? I bet they all were made by BIG business that only care about how much $payup they can make while keeping costs in check!!

P.S. It's the mega rich that employee snow plow companies!!:waving: