1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when not full angle, cylinders have play

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by rocksbite, Nov 29, 2012.

1. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

i noticed toward the end of my day plowing that if i was at partial angle right either up or down there was about 3" of cylinder play. meaning with the plow up i can angle the blade by hand. do i have air in the system or a bad cylinder.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The piston is moving in the cylinder 3 inches?

3. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

yes i can grab the blad and angle it by hand. there is about 3" of slop in the cylinders

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like air in the system. Find a place where you can park so the plow hangs lower than the truck - like a sidewalk/curb. The key is to get the rams pointed down so the hose fitting is at the highest point. Cycle the bladed side to side a few times should get all the air out. Check your fluid level afterwards.

What kind of plow?

5. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

It's an e47. Fluid was low. So I tryed what u said and there is still movement. I checked the 2 filters and they were clean.

6. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

O I did notice that the fluid was very foamy

7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Foam is air. Lots of little bubbles.

First, what kind of fluid are you using? Things like ATF will foam and should definitely be avoided. Make sure you're using the proper light hydraulic fluid. If in doubt, make sure that the bottle says "meyer" on it some place, not necessarily branded meyer, but at least says that its compatible with meyer.

Also make sure that your intake screen isn't at all plugged (sludge, dirt, ice, etc.) The problem with the inlet screen is that it is located in the bottom of the reservoir and the only way to get to it is by popping the top off the reservoir and reaching down into the goo. The other two screens are far less important since they're on the high pressure side of the pump and not a source of air into the pump -- so can't create foam. If you have ATF in the pump and need to replace it with the right stuff, this would be a great opportunity to check and clean the screen, as well as any other sludge in the bottom of the reservoir.

Also note that if you DO have to replace the fluid with the right stuff, you will want to disassemble the hoses off the angle cylinders and drain as much fluid out of them as you can.

8. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

I'm running a lite weight hydrolic oil i got at tractor supply, its very close to the weight of meyers oil

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Does it have anti-foam? Did you check your intake screen? I don't care what oil you have in it, but I will tell you that if it is foaming, there is definitely something wrong. Either with the oil or with the pump intake.

10. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

I drained the system and replaced with meyers fluid. I didnt have any leaks till today i noticed the weep hole under the motor is leaking. Could this be the cause? I also have always had hesitation when coming off full angle

11. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

YES Its not air tight . meyer is notorious for cracked casings .

12. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

i changed the seal. i didnt notice any cracks under the motor.

the systems as of right now is... if i am full angle it seems like the blade will hold. atleast me pulling on it doesnt move it. if the blade is straight the right cylinder is solid, meaning i cant push back on the right side of the blade. but i can push back on the left side. i was told it could be the cross over valve but its only the one cylinder is soft.

could i still have air in that cylinder? or maybe that selenoid isnt closing??

i really need to button this up. strong possibility we could get alot of snow here in pa the next week or so

13. littlenick

littlenick Member
    from OH

I've been having the same problem, I have slop in my system when it is not fully angled. And when it is fully angled to the right side the plow will not let me rotate left, I have to unplug the hose and relieve some of the pressure out of the cylinder. I am only running meyer fluids.

14. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

so i bled them as well as i could. i used it for the snow we got the other day and the air is gone

15. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

replace / check all hoses, couplings and change oil .