1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when lifting plow, voltage on truck drops to about 10 volts, normal???

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by trqjnky, Oct 7, 2010.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i have 2 interstate batteries, one brand new, the other load tested good. cleaned all the wire connections. but when lifting plow, the voltage drops to about 10 volts... is this normal??

meyers e60 plow.

2. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

No, What fluid are you running in the plow?
    Change it all to MEYER BRAND FLUID ! not napa, not ATF fluid only meyer.
    Had the same problem and struggled for two years....lesson learned.

Now could also be a few other things, but first is first....
    D

3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i have the blue fluid in it. ill try getting meyers fluid for it.

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

This is common for a truck with a smaller alt. Could be fluid, but keep in mind the plow is pulling close to 300 amps which is HUGE

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Clean every electrical connection, make sure the plow is wired directly to the battery. both the power and the GROUND.

6. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

both batteries test just fine. its not like one battery is half dead. it has as many cca's as the other battery. thats why i tested it, too see if it needed replaced, which it doesnt.

plow is wired directly to the battery.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some drop is normal and virtually unpreventable. What is more important is that it comes back quickly when you release the control function.

To get the maximum benefit from multiple battery's tied together they should be not only the same exact brand and spec but just as important also as close as possible to the same age thus reducing one from fighting the other to stabilize charge voltage between them.

It's also a wise idea to do an AMP draw test on the pump motor to check both it's health and the health of the related wiring and connections. Should be done as preventative maintenance before the start of the seasons every year.

8. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i put my ammeter on the rod wire going to the pump motor. pulled 146 amps, 210 at very top of lift when ram fully extended. that should be ok right?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

10. redvetracr

redvetracr Junior Member
    from WI

you are lucky to have one the few Meyer dealers left in your area (I`m south of Milwaukee), once Meyer demanded all it`s parts dealers stock Meyer plows the people who were the Meyer distributor in my area (Monroe Truck) kissed Meyer goodbye so all thats available is the generic blue fluid....but it`s still $8 a quart.