1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When is the best time to go out during a snowstorm

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MontanoPlow, Dec 14, 2013.

1. MontanoPlow

MontanoPlow Junior Member

Hi All,

Here is my newbie question:

When is the best time to go out and start plowing if you are expecting 15cm?
    How about 25cm?

Basically to avoid going more than 3 or 4 times to the same place.

Thanks for the advice.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmmmm--I've never plowed in cm's,only in inches,feet,LOFS[use your imagination],etc.For your older and old school members to the South of you like me,you want to re phrase your question in ''English'' ?

3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Normally I plow with the storm. You don't want to get in over your head and have to much at once that your trying to move. You also need to know what your plow and vehicle can handle. Once you try a few different snow situations you'll have a feel for what's best for you and your equipment.

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Sometimes I wait till it's ended, sometimes I plow during storm if it's during business hours, sometimes I plow with the storm, sometimes I plow it quickly before it melts off, sometimes I pre salt and don't have to plow, sometimes I salt during storm to avoid hard pack,If it's snowing overnight into the next day I start no later than 4 am, very complicated! Today I'm doing plan A today, got 2" going to wait till 11 pm and knock it off all at once, most businesses closed today and the ones that aren't can just man up!

5. MontanoPlow

MontanoPlow Junior Member

Sure, I'll rephrase my question in English, lol

We are expecting about 6 inches of snow, starting this evening and ending tomorrow morning, early afternoon.

I have a Ford F250 7.3 powerstroke diesel with an 8ft Meyer plow.

We only plow residential driveways and we don't salt.

Thanks again

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I think you can wait to the end of the storm if that's all you're getting. Even if it's heavy snow, it's still easily doable with your truck. If you charge by the push and have trigger amounts, that may mean plow twice. I'd probabaly wait to the end for that one if it's a flat charge. And it may depend on when it falls for your customers to get out and all that. There is no concrete time. Welcome to plowing.

7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I would do it at 3 or 4 and then after it is over. If I waited until it was all done it would be all driven on and packed down. Plus I would rather do 3 two times than 6 once. But to each his own.

8. tuney443

X2---my snowmobiling club is going up your way in Feb. I think the name of the hotel is the Central Hotel in Quebec.Is it fairly safe from the sled and trailer thieves we hear about? I heard the best of locks mean nothing up there,guys carry cordless sawzalls and will cut right through an aluminum A frame.

9. Billious

Billious Member

I think that advice holds true IF you have a tight route. If you're all over the place (like people new to the business often are), you introduce a huge inefficiency driving your entire route multiple times.

I think the real key is the customer experience, tied in with the billing setup you have with them. Since I do "tiered" billing, if it's 6" and I don't have to worry about homeowners spazzing in the morning, I'd wait til it's done (or close enough to done that the salt will clean up the rest). But if the snow starts at like 2am, and isn't going to finish until 9 or 10am, a "opening pass" to minimize homeowners inconvenience in the AM is totally the way to go.

10. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Why would he do that? The u.s. is the only country in the world that uses standard measurements. Yup, old school for sure, now learn to adapt!

11. maxwellp

"I think that advice holds true IF you have a tight route"

You are very correct, I should have put that in there also. My route is, 50% are under a minute and the rest are under 10 mins round trip with the accounts on the way and that is with snow on the roads.

12. Billious

Billious Member

Given that you're in the area, you'll know what I mean when I say my route looks like "Fitchburg - Near West - Maple Bluff - Atwood - Monona"... less than optimal for running laps.

13. tuney443

Lighten up there partner,I was only joking around but NO,I'm not going to adapt,it's bad enough I have had to buy tons of metric tools and the bottom line is the US is where I live so I'll manage just fine with our archaic standard measurements.

14. maxwellp

Yes I know exactly, that would be allot of running around.

I do West Midtown Rd to the City of Verona. I have one that I can do whenever, as in the next day, that is 20 mins away. No one lives there and it is for sale. Interesting thing was I gave them a very high quote because I did not want to do it. But got it anyway. :laughing:

15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Just my .02 here. With residentials I used to do, most would want me there for a morning plow out then again when it's finished. So you might be hitting it at 4" and a final time for 2". Most people have places to go in the morning and don't want to navigate 5" of snow to do it.

16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed....

17. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

You may notice that the OP has a truck with a 7.3 litre diesel and a 7-foot plow.

The cool thing is we get to be bilingual in more than just language - we flip back and forth between metric and SI. We can also use Imperial SI and US SI. Just FYI, there's 2.54 centimetres to an inch, 3.73 litres to the US gallon, 4 litres to the Imperial gallon and "neige" means snow.

For the OP, your timing depends on what you've promised your customers. Generally standard residential around here is opening up before 7 a.m. so your customers get out and drive the road and mall contractors crazy and then cleaning the whole driveway while the cars are away.

As a road contractor, we start about 5 cms (2 inches tymusic) and keep filling in your driveways until 4-5 hours after the snow stops. Have a good day. We should be finished about 5 p.m.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  18. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

What you commit to your customers? it really is irrelevant what we do,it is the service you sold that matters. Good luck.tymusic

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You're spot on, it's based on what you sold to you customer.ussmileyflagussmileyflag:laughing:

20. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I am leaning towards just a single push for residential drives...unless it is a slow snow and you know the customer will be driving on it/need to leave if it happens during the day. Also, you need to be familiar with what your equipment is capable of. You know it will push 6" just fine but how well will it back drag 6"??? I know the Hiniker scoop plows don't back drag anything more than about 3" and that's with a good edge.