1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when is the best time to buy a plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by captbo, Mar 18, 2003.

1. captbo

captbo Senior Member

I was going to buy an 8' western for my F350 psd cc I placed the order a few weeks ago, and when I called to folow up , the lady told me she was waiting on the blade,, and to try back in June, what give? any info please
    Thanks Bo

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Preferably before the next snowfall!:waving:

Seriously, if a dealer doesn't have a plow in stock, he won't be able to restock until the manufacturers gear up for next season. That may be why he gave the June reference. Jerre Heyer may be able to add some insight to this...

By the way, Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Usually they let stock run low towards the end of the season, especially if they have other business in the fall. All the parts of a plow take up storage and electrical parts would need to be inside and safe.

Usually mid-summer after they have moved mowers, bodies or whatever the summer business is, they start bringing in leaf vacs, and then plows.

As a bonus you know that you will get a new plow. Not one that has been sitting in stock since the fall.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've found the best time to buy is August. I got a quote that locked in the price for 30 days. That let me buy at the old price in September after the price increase.

5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Best time to buy a plow??

The best time to buy a plow is now. If your dealer can't offer you preseason ordering now they should.

CT's right. Most dealers have a side line business, be it snowplows or there summer line.

They let inventory drop off or in the case of some of us they simply sell out of there available plows from the manufacturer.

Sales of plows are less in the spring and summer because most people don't want to hold onto the plow for the summer ( lot's of wear and tear due to the summer sun....LOL ) but seriously it ties up there money..................SOOOOOO what they do is wait till its ready to snow and then push the dealers to get them in.

I know you want to cash and carry the plow so I won't rub on that but I would suggest you go back to the dealer and ask to purchase all of the mount and wiring/controls for the truck and get that on asap.
    It may not be snowing now but then again you'll probably be busy come fall.

Purchase the plow as a package from them and get an estimated date for there first deliveies of plows' for the rest of the plow your waiting for and then have them call you to pick it up when it's in.

Most dealers in our area start to take inventory in late June early July.

I help my customers out by offering pre-season pricing for early orders. We get the mounts and wiring on now thru late June/early July. No rush for us no rush for them.

They pick up there new plow after August 1st and are ready for the first storms when other people are still deciding to buy a plow.

good luck Jerre

6. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Jerre, tell me about the plows you sell!

7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Bo,

We sell Blizzards and Westerns new. Service them all.....West, Fisher, Blizzard, Boss, Curtis, Snoway etc. Stock lots of parts and get them in trade too. Mounts avail used and new.

Hope this helps. Jerre