1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When is it too early to start looking for contracts?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, May 20, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Im planning on investing in a rear plow, but would feel more comfortable about spending the cash if i knew i had a few people interested. was thinking of talking to some stores and other locations around end of july, just get a feel for what they are paying. would like to pay, if they would be interested in paying me for cheaper.
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Can we assume that you have already replaced that Western / Meyer mess on the front? It would only make sense to get that done first before dumping money into a rear blade.

Your business logic is still lagging. You don't get work first and then buy the equipment (for the most part). You get the equipment and then offer the service. How would you sell yourself? "Duh, I don't have the equipment now, but I'll go get it if your hire me."

If I wanted to start a small lawn mowing service, I would buy a mower and tools and then find the work.
  3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome back.
  4. birddseedd

I wont tell the customer that obviously. But i wont have the cash for it till fall. Unless i get one from an auction. Guy i know got 2 of them for 500 bucks. Extendable tho. I prefer the ebling style as it can be a scoop aswell
  5. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know why you wouldn't start talking to people now, given the chance

I walked into a customer today to estimate a flooring job, talked to her for an hour, told her I own a plowing business, blah blah blah, she complained about the current guy...... boom I'm in, another $350 lot
  6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

many large company's get the work first then invest in the man power/equipment to do the job...nothing wrong with faking it until you make it. its all in how you structure your business model. figure your cost correctly and you will be fine. I'm not saying go bid more work than you will feasibly be able to do. Lets say you bid a lot you know you will need another truck to take on so you go buy the truck and then you lose that bid?.. you want to sit on that mistake?? its all risk and reward.
  7. birddseedd

..... nice
  8. birddseedd

well. im planning on building or buying a 16' back plow. spending the investment will be much easier if i know i have a few more lots to make the investment worth it.

im actualy thinking of making one that can windrow
  9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

So you are going to build one? :popcorn:
  10. birddseedd

oh ha ha.

only if i dont find a good deal on a used one at auction.

unless my business takes off, inwhich i need it to as my job is all but gone.
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you want their business,just tell them you'll plow for 10 bucks.
  12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

A 16' back blade and a homemade plow on the front. That's asking an awful lot out of a half ton truck. And secondly how the hell do you drive around with a 16' blade? Expandable I assume, in which case, see first sentence. Thirdly, have you even thought about buying a plow for the front that's actually made for your truck? Not trying to be a pr!ck but I don't get your thinking on this one at all.
  13. birddseedd

Yes ill have to beef up my truck. which frankly i could use doing for landscaping anyway.
  14. birddseedd

ill do drives for 20 if i have a few in the same neighborhood. anythign less than that would be the oposite of gouging
  15. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Grandview is the inventor of lowballing. Can you give us your patent number?
  16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Call me.1-800-LOWBALL payup
  17. birddseedd

anyone else call that number?
  18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I think I saw it on Angie's list ;)
  19. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

$20 is low, should be charging at least $25 to $30 for an average city drive. Hasn't been a $20 driveway around my area for close to ten years now with the cost of fuel and equipment steadily on the rise.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

i have already locked in everything from last year for next year! always looking for more snow to push,even when sitting in the sun drinking beer!!tymusic:drinkup::drinkup: