1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When is enough just enough!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowboy16, Nov 27, 2001.

1. plowboy16

plowboy16 Junior Member

Hi guys! I have a 82 chevy blazer full size 305 with a 7.5 western. I love this truck it plows anything but it is nickle and dimeing me to death now! I just replaced transmission and all the seals in the tranfer case! Now the darn thing decides it now needs axle u-joints, ball joints, tie rods and i probably should replace all the wheel beerings and seals while i am at it! Should i just say my good by's now and buy a different truck? But gosh i would miss the old girl!:confused:

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

trade it in for a new chevy 2500HD. youll forget all about the ole girl in no time.

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

No he won't, he'll be reminded of it every month for at least 5 years, maybe 6.

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I think it's a matter of personality and trait.

I cannot work on anything, nor can I stand anything thats not perfect, so I always buy new.

But I know guys who are very sucessful by keeping out of debt and working on their own equipment themselves.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

"Now the darn thing decides it now needs axle u-joints, ball joints, tie rods and i probably should replace all the wheel beerings and seals while i am at it! "

Since the items you list dont just fail all at once shame on you for not going thru the money pit before dumping the green into a trans and xfer case. So if I were you Id spend the $100 on parts, 5 gal of kerosene, fire up the salamander and settle in for a knuckle-busting weekend.

6. plowboy16

plowboy16 Junior Member

So so true lawnguy!!!! LOL it is my fault! I should have checked all that a long time ago! Now i will pay for it! But no salamander here i have a heated garage so it won't be to bad! I can work in my garage in my underwaer if i wanted to it stays pretty warm in there!

7. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hmmm-

After hearing that, I'm sure your neighbors hope you'll buy new! :)

8. newtosnow

newtosnow Junior Member

I have an 87 Dodge 3/4 ton (318ci), which costs me on ave. $95/mo. to keep on the road. I try to plan, think ahead, replace all front end every year. I still wind up with an old truck, but the bodys very solid. It gets great traction in snow, and has just enough power. I always compare it to my fathers 2000 GMC 3/4 ton "nosediver with plow on" (not HD) truck everytime I tow him out, and think about those $500/mo payments I dont have. Heck, whats a few new tierods? $120? Big deal, go for it!! Thats my opinion!!

9. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

My vote is to buy the new 2500HD and put a V-plow on it and fix the blazer too!! You can't have too many plow truck now can you?

10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Wolfie may have a good suggestion about fixing up your Blazer too. It would be a good backup plow truck in case if something go wrong.

11. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

i agree...fix the blazer AND get a new one...a backup would be sweet!!! i'm planning on keeping my truck as a backup when it gets there...