1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When is a good time to set up for next season?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JazyT, Mar 3, 2010.

1. JazyT

JazyT Junior Member

It seems like this season is almost over and I was wondering when would be a good time to start setting up contracts for the next one?
    This was my first year pushing, and I gotta say, I got lucky landing a good contract on 4 commercial properties, but I'd like to find something that has a lower trigger than 2", so I can work more often.
    Is there a time frame where contractors start looking for subs? Is it too early to even consider looking?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

3. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

ive never heard of a trigger less than 2" ...you need to get salt agreements on those comm. accounts you have or be prepared to cut throat your competition to get other accounts

4. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

There are several 1" triggers around here, unfortunetly all mine are 2" which is more popular.

If you are trying to find work as a sub you are probably better off waiting till september, if sooner, as stated above, you wont get paid what you could, because to sign now would give the contractor 8 months to find someone cheaper and/or better.

5. JazyT

JazyT Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys.
    I'm doing pretty good with the contract I have so far, and the rates will not be cut with them for next season.
    I just found that I was able to get a 10 hour push down to 4.5 - 5 hours with the new plow I bought, so I was hoping to maybe get more work going on next season, I just wasn't sure how soon or how late to start looking, but I'll keep that in mind.
    I do have a tailgate salter, but the clients don't/won't pay for chemicals so I don't even carry it on the truck.
    I plan on possibly updating my truck sometime during this year too, though the one I have I got in Florida, so it's nicely rust free.

6. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

I am going on my 8th season ....6 seasons were just for fun my kids school(free) and family.....

One major problem of being a sub

the contractor's dont pay or cut your pay for any reason they feel like

i am force to under bid them and i have to lose money for that...

And i am getting contracts for 2010-2011 already

the contractors want to hurt my pocket then i will bid on there contract's for what they were paying me.....

They should of payed me

i dont like low balling but what choice do i have

i worked for lorenzo landscaping, snobiz, mercar

yous lost 3 account so far the more time goes by the more bids i put in

pay me or lose some more accounts

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We have accounts with a 1/4' trigger and I know of some with ZERO tolerence.
    Never too early to line up accounts for next year.

8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

it serves them right, can't say i blame you for doing it.

9. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

Good luck.

You will find that property managers and owners also pay on their own schedule and are happy to hold back money.

You are what is killing the industry. But we all know what goes around comes around.....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Never too early

Set up more deicing accounts. This keeps you going in any event. It's not when to set up new accounts, it's when to set up the most profitable accounts.

You are making progress, keep going and keep looking for better accounts.

11. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Look for more versatile accounts also, such as non prime time accounts. A Cemetery, normally they are not in a hurry to be plowed. Bank owned homes. etc.
    I use to have a wide variety of accounts before I went back to a 1 man show. Plowed for farmers to barn yards, propane tanks and all kinds of off the wall accounts. Some didn't care if they were plowed the day after a storm. Find salting accounts.

12. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I always feel when you are in business for yourself it is never to early to sell something. This is also a good time because a lot of people might not be happy with their current guy, and while its on their mind they may switch.

13. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Just a thought. I would love to be setting up accounts for next year. Problem is that it is hard enough to sell salting when it's cold up here with snow coming, let alone now. Plus I can't get quotes for salt from the suppliers till late Sept,if then. I haven't figured out how to give a quote without know what my material cost will be.

Anyone else have this problem. If so,how do you handle it.