1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When i should put out bids?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MJD82, Mar 31, 2009.

1. MJD82

MJD82 Member

How long before snow starts to fly do you guys put bids out for potential customers? I figure i'm going to get my name out there in the next couple of months and start talking to some of the smaller businesses and some people in the neighborhoods. Any advice from some of you veteran plowers out the would be great.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It really depends on the customer. I have one on me now for a bid for 09-10 season. They want a signed contract asap. Some will wait till the last minute.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

ASAP the sooner you get your name in their hands the better. Then keep hitting them with reminders of you and your services.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It's never too early.

5. MJD82

MJD82 Member

good deal fellas thanks for the input

6. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Never too early to start. However, you will find that A LOT of people wait til the last minute to hire someone. I'll give you an example of how bad it is:
    We advertise online and I can see how many people click on our ads everyday. We get one or two per month over the summer, get 10-15 per month October, 20-30 in November, when we get our first snow forecast it goes up to 150-200 per day, and the day of the first snow we have gotten as many as 1,000 in one day!
    Knowing this happens, when I bid jobs over the summer I tell people the price quoted is valid until November 1st, after that the price goes up. It's a good incentive to get people to sign up early.

It's a pretty good feeling when someone calls the day of the first snow fall and says "You gave us a bid in July and I want to sign a contract, when can you get here?" and I can say "Well, per the estimate, the price is now actually 20% more than what we quoted you because you waited til after November 1st to call, but I can have someone over there in a few hours after you sign". Even better is when I have to turn them down because we are booked, that pisses them off- "Why did you give us a bid if you can't provide the service?" "We could provide the service when we bid it 5 months ago, you waited until its snowing to call us and are now upset that we can't drop everything and come plow your lot? They usually realize their error and then beg us to come out "whenever you can get here". LMAO!!!