1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When + How Much Magic Salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BSDeality, Jan 14, 2006.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I just picked up a half a dozen bags of Magic Salt to experiment with tonight (if it turns to snow). What is the best application rate for this? The bag says 1/4-1/3 cup per yd^2. I'd rather not break out a measuring cup to find out how much this stuff weighs, but if i have to I will.

Does 2.5lbs per 1,000sq ft sound about right?

Also, I have a person would like me to try this on his driveway tonight. Would it be better to pre-treat (1-3" storm after rain today) or wait til after the plow scrapes what it can off, then apply? The driveway is in very poor shape (pavement) and has a major ridge in the center with valleys at the outside do to settling.

Air temps will be around 30F
  2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Do both. A pre-treatment will keep things from sticking and will actually melt some of it off. Post-plow, it will melt off what's left.

We regularly pre-treat because it buys time and makes life a lot easier. As warm as it is you won't have to apply as much.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I would think if you pre-treat the driveway while it is wet, it would help spread the treatment.

Why not do half and half. pretreat half of the drive and leave the other half to see how the pretreat worked.

I went out and pre treated one of my accounts tonight. it has a very steep hill at the entrance. Hoping it will cut through what ever snow we get.

Good luck
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Well it looks like we're a "GO" for tonight. Just got out of dinner to find 1/4" of sleet/slush on the roadways, its very slick out. I've got both Magic -0 and M. Salt with me tonight. We're stilling getting a little rain in the mix, but i'm going to head out and lay some material.

I guess I'll just "eye" it for the granular for this application.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

The results from this storm were not as clean cut as the last storm i experimented with in my pictures thread. I used both the liquid + magic salt on 3 driveways last night. The salt appears to worked a little better than the liquid because there was already 1/4-1/2" of "sleice" on the ground when i went out to pre-treat.

Now the wind is blowing snow all over the place so it is hard to see whats really happening with meltdown as the temps slowly rise. I will probably go out and do a post treatment in a couple hours too.
  6. BS, sound like you were a few minutes late to get the pretreatment down on the pavement. If the ice had already formed then you won't get the liquid in between the ice and the pavement. We had guys that pretreated here last night. Went from rain to snow quick. Plowed right up. I would not pretreat with the liquid if it is raining. You can but you will just need lots more liquid. Hope that helps.
  7. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

BSDeality, I just wanna let you know I really enjoy reading your post about your snow melting experiments. Keep them coming!:)
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Willy-D8, No problem, i think a picture is worth a thousand words, so i take as many pictures as I can. Hopefully we'll get some more "typical" snow soon. The last rain/ice before the storm really didn't help much, but now i know to use the salt instead of the liquids in a case like that.