1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When does it get better?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by kolkie05, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

I know we have had several posts on the low ballers this year but seriously when does it get any better?

I've lost two more bids to guy's coming in willing to work for nothing. Both on condo buildings that want calcium chloride on walks. Around here that's going for $11 a bag so we all know that adds up. Add in plowing the lot, clearing the sidewalks, and salting how can you go cheap on that and expect to make money?

Now I have another large condo building we bid asking us to lower our price to compete?
    I'm starting to wonder why I wake up at 2am for this?:dizzy:
  2. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Its not going to get better.

There has been a big shift in the customers mindset across the board over the past few years.

Whereas years ago, it was very tough to get into the commercial market for a new guy.

Property managers would only entertain bids from long standing, known, qualified companies and make their selection.

Now the bidding is open to just about anyone. So there are many more people managers have to choose from.

If they were used to paying 50g for their property, and they now have bids coming in at half that, they are now willing to give those guys a shot.

Many times it works in their favor and they get a good job.

Sometimes the contractor is over his head and falls on his face and then the managers get someone else.

The problem now is that instead of going back to a 50g guy, theyre looking for someone at 25 again.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty much sums it up.