1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When do you start?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by blogsdon, Jan 5, 2011.

1. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

When do you guys start getting bids or renewals for the 2011-2012 season?

I only do drives now but was considering expanding. So when is the time to start calling for next year?

Thanks for your replies in advance

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

bids usually happen late summer/fall (September-October) Some even go into November (thats for commercial work). For residential i usually start doing that stuff in November. I will usually send out renewal letters in August for existing commercial clients and again for the residential clients maybe october but usually not till november also

ive tried calling right after that season (late november for mowing and april for snow) and they usually just say, werre not thinking about that right now try back at this time.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have signed commercial contracts in May before. It all depends on the customer, and what they are comfortable with. When the season is over this spring, I will send out an appreciation letter, along with a new contract for the following winter. Some sign it on the spot and send it back, not wanting to lose their place in the route, other wait till as late as November to sign a contract. I give the spring contracts at the same price I was at for the past winter, if I have to chase down contracts, the price is increased. I also start talking to new clients as early as late July. That gives me some time to find more equipment, and employees, if needed for the upcomming season.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lately it seems they wait till the last minute, especially the larger commercial properties. My 2 large accounts finally signed on Nov 15th and Nov 16th when the contract for actually doing the plowing begins on Nov 15th. A lot of bigger places around here sign at the end of August on through Nov. It's tough to get them much sooner, but I'm going to try here mid season to lock them in for a second year at the same price. We'll see how it goes.
  5. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

For bigger sites that I am interested in bidding where I know larger equipment may be needed I begin contacting them early so then I can get equipment lined up. But like the others said, a lot of them are waiting until last minute now.