1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When do you start plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by prizeprop, Jan 24, 2005.

1. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

During this last event (1/22/05), The timing of storm caused those who were open to close early on Saturday and most were closed on Sunday. I personally started my first push 9pm with approx. 9" on the ground and did my final push starting on Sunday 10 am to get the rest of the approx. 6". That in my opinion was the joy of this storm ,no rush do to the timing.

2. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

I start at the trigger stated in my customer agreement, for the residential customers thats 3 inches, for my commercials one is 1" and two are 2". If I see a big storm forecast with heavy show or large accumulations I start Resi at 2" just so I don't fall too far behind.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The company I contract to has a bank/office building. They have orders to keep it wet. Even a dusting is to be cleared in all areas of parking complex and 3 roads leading into. During this past storm we were on 5 man shifts from 1st flake to last. Was informed I could be making twice the amount if I had a salter in the bed as well. Ordering salter tomorrow.

I know I made damn good money doing that plus a industrial park. Would like to know how much their bill is as the owner had a big ass smile on his face when we went out to eat afterwards.

Hell the cheap ass even paid for us all.

4. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

depends on timing

If we have an afternoon/evening storm, I wait until its all over to start plowing. But, this year we've had a lot of storms that started after midnight and went into the morning even afternoon hours.

When this happens I start as late as possible to keep everyone happy. The later I start, the less I'll have to do twice. I have 3 office buildings that take under an hour each. So, on morning snows, I start the first one at 6:00am which opens at 7:00am. My next two open at 8:00am, and 9:00am respectively. That way all three are completed 30 minutes before the first person shows up. Then I head into resis, and come back at the end of the business day to touch up the office buildings (lots are too small to maneuver with cars there). In an ongoing storm, the earlier you get out there, the more will need touched up later. And, even on these long snows, most resis are done by the time people get home from work.

5. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

If it's going to be a big storm, I'll start at around 4 or 5 inches. If it is a small storm, I usually will plow at 1/2 inch.

And if it's a small small snow, like a couple inches or less, I'll plow when it's done snowing.

I'll plow anything that covers the ground, as long as my plow will scrape it up.

6. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

So if you have a 16 inch snow fall you go every 2 inches?Thats 8 pushes. Not trying to discredit your method, just trying to get an idea of how things are done with everyone.Remember were talking about commercial accounts that don't open till Monday morning. I find it a waste of time to push residentials at 2-3 inches when another 13 inches is on its way. I like to split my pushes into reasonable snow amounts in large storms. Say 8" and 8" when large amounts are predicted in order to keep my payroll and gas amounts to a minimum; not to mention my time.

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

some accounts I run in durring the whole deal keeping drive lanes open and helping smear around the salt. Some accounts I will wait till it ends before I start(or about has ended were the salt will kill off what ever may fall) if its just going to be a few inches. If it is going to be a 16" storm I would do multipul pushes but we havent been hit with anything big in awhile......a couple fairly close larger storms.....but then you are pretty much plowing when its done, take a few hour nap and get back out there when it starts again. :dizzy: payup :dizzy: :sleeping:

You gota find out what your customer wants and charge accordingly.

8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

About 2" or so. This past storm we got over 2 1/2 feet, when I went out there was alredy 6" and falling fast. I was plowing about 20" at a time on sat night and sunday. Supposed to be 5"-6" tommrrow so I will be out again probley will wait until the end to plow this one. I don't know where iam going to put this snow, i got to see if i can make some room at some places today. :eek:

9. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

A real heavy snowfall in Buffalo can be an inch or even more per hour, my route takes a little under 3 hours start to finish, so I just try to get a jump on things. My commercials like to be plowed frequently during heavy snow, so sometimes I wind up departing from the regular route to get back to them and keep things in their lots clean and open during business hours. From reading my own post I can see how it looks kinda like I plow too often, sorry for the bad communication. With a 4 to 5 inch event I do wait it out, however with 6 or 8 inches if I dont plow them during the storm the phone will ring off my desk! I do have some picky (eccenteric) customers, but I tend to be the higher priced guy so they expect major service when the snow falls.
    Ken

10. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I am really jealous of all the snow you got, but somewhere to put it is the hard part. In 2001, here in Newport, NH, we had the record snowfall of 38 inches... probably due to the elavation. The area was supposed to get 6-12 inches.. then they said 16, then 18, then 25, then 28. We ended up with 38". It was so bad, and accumalating so fast, that local contractors were plowing roads with there trucks just so someone could get through. It all accumalated in only 14 hours. Record. It was on the news. Two days later, we got 29 inches of snow... hardly any place to put it. I spent hours per driveway pushing snow back. Vehicles couldn't even see around corners. A lot of plow trucks pushed snow onto the sidewalk, just to clear the road, so the sidewalk tractor's snowblower couldn't even go through it (It was almost to the height of the tractor itself). The worst part is the 29" storm was all wet snow. I mean weight. I could hardly plow gravel surfaces because it all turned to mud as the previous day, snow was melting. Nasty nasty nasty. The roads were down to 1 1/2 lane. The sidewalk tractor couldn't do the sidewalks until the grader, loader, and trucks removed the snow.. then it went and scraped the sidewalks.

Be glad it was light snow. The 38" we got, was light. Then the next day it warmed, and then the next day it was warm, and that night it snowed, into the next day, and all wet wet wet snow. 29" of it.