1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When do you Stake?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by gottaluvplows, Oct 16, 2009.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

When do you go out and Stake Residential AND commercial??
    What do you use for commercial?
    What do you use for residential?

2. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

are you talking as in end of lots ;curb ?

3. gottaluvplows

Yes like marking where ie: retaining walls are (the ones close like next to driveways)
    Border of driveways,
    Commercial: Islands for the most part

When do you do out and stake/mark them?

4. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

i put mine out the first week of november . then go back every now and then to make sure no 1 moved them or knocked down .i take picks of new lots 2

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

our weather is weird here, it's not like the east or the midwest. It can snow 8 inches one day and be 70 degrees two days later. (It can also snow 3 feet and be on the ground for months, you never know)

Thus, I wait til the very last minute, otherwise they disappear.
    The day before a big storm is forecast, we run around and do everything. I try to have people who are going to be doing the lots, stake it. (thus they remember it better, doesn't always work, but it's a good idea).

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Just after Halloween, first week of November. Any sooner the kids yank them all, any later and the ground is too frozen to get them in... I use the poly stakes from J-Thomas.

7. gottaluvplows

Great points thanks......Sounds like Michigan Weather to me!

8. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

this year will be november 2 at 9:30 am

9. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

We use rebar (for concrete) usally wait till after Halloween but if a big storm is coming we scramble and start pounding them in.

10. gottaluvplows

also very good Points.....last year during the first snow fall i pulled up to the house and i saw the kids playing with the stakes like life-savers i was SOO MADD:angry:!

11. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

the housing projects here for snow removal, dont even bother to put stakes in. Theyll be gone or end up in the snowblower wrapped around the auger

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

when do you put up snow stakes...

before it snows:laughing: sorry, it had to be said. But you do need to time it, not too early not too late. if your too early your stakes tend to walk. If too late you'll cause some serious damage to lawns and curbs.

the type of stake you use depends on your business style, your clients style, how much money you (or your clients) want to spend on stakes. The type of stake you use can bring in more business IE "I live on xyz street and I see you plow 10 of my neighbors..."

I used fiberglass poles with reflective tape, partly because i'm a snob:rolleyes: and partly because everyone around here uses cheap little wooden stakes. Some people even go all out and put there company info on the stakes - good idea but expensive.

I don't recommend rebar/metal too much liability.

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What do you stake lots for?

14. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

So Grandview can find the curbs when he's drunk off all his beer money... :gunsfiring:

15. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

After the leaves are picked up and before the ground frezzes. It can be a tough call here in Michigan, last year I was doing fall clean ups one day and plowing the next.

Mike

16. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

17. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

those are my favorite, the diameter of the pole is thicker than the cheep ones at Angelo's so they go in easyier, the metal cap also helps drive them in and the reflective tape really helps to see them when your backing up at night in a snow storm. BTW I had a friend weld me up this to help put them in, works like a champ. http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11400&d=1127063709

18. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

Are you using that to sort of pre drill a hole to get the pole started ? Or does it slip over the marker to drive it in ?

Ive tried a few others. Including wood with Hi viz. tape on them. These are by far the best.
    To drive them in using a hammer is a waste of time.
    All i did was I got a 24" piece of 11/4 " OD cast iron pipe. Threaded a cap on one end and wallah.
    Instant homemade pole driver.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  19. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

Like an old timer once told me. U play hide n seek with curbs after the snow falls. That way the stakes dont walk off and it makes plowing more fun. Needless to say i stake 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. Played that game once and lost. Curb was fine, my head and truck wasn't

20. big acres

big acres Senior Member

like said before... too much liability in rebar, not to mention how it can puncture an oil pan or mess up a blower real easy if lost in a pile.