1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when do you salt?/central indiana guys

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lucky4511, Dec 9, 2008.

1. lucky4511

lucky4511 Member

We are new to pushing snow this year and so far in central Indiana the weather has been pretty iffy. Are any guys in central indiana salting tonight? Rain all day weather right around freezing tonight weatherman calling for a chance of flurries or maybe freezing rain. Salt or not salt...commercial accounts.

2. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

NW indiana here... may throw some salt down in the morning on a couple accounts but thats about it. Everything is pretty wet here and temps are supposed to dip to 21 so it will start to freeze up overnight.

3. lucky4511

lucky4511 Member

thanks for the reply..that was our thoughts - up and checking in the early am and heading out to do some salt if necessary.

4. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I can do my route in about 2 hours so I usually leave around 4:30 or 5:00 to check the lots. I was out at 5:00 this a.m. but didn't need anything. I just keep a close eye on temps. Just remember that an extra hours sleep is not worth a big lawsuit.

5. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

i am located in Avon and this year we have salted parking lots 3 times and sidewalks 4 times. It all depends on what your lots look like. We have had some the didnt need salt at all because the wind dried all the ice up and blew all the snow away. We have had some on the other had that collected 6-8" of snow and we had to plow. We will normaly go out and salt if there is snow on the parking lot or there is ice. If there is just a patch of snow here and there we normaly wont treat. If there is any snow what so ever on the sidewalks we treat them.

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We've done some partial saltings this year and some full saltings nothing in outlook worth salting. Kiser - is right...

7. lucky4511

lucky4511 Member

Thanks for all of the replys. We have 11 commercial properties tied into one account - unfortunately they are a bit spread out so our route takes a bit of time to do but wanted the 2 year lawn/landscape plus snow maintenance agreement so decided to go for it, it gives us a nice income over the winter months. After we get our feet wet would not be opposed to filling in some other work but didn't want to get in too deep to soon. Have plow experience but this is the first time to do it on our own.

8. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

the one thing i can't stress enough about salting is that you need to understand what the weather is going to be 12 hours down the road, not just at the moment your looking at the lot. for instance, yesterday morning, around 2am, i drove several of our lots and they were still soaking wet. temp was around 36 degrees. but i knew that the temps were dropping quick that morning. we salted all 72 accounts that morning. and very glad we did. the city completely iced over. another quick note. after a rain event, just because a lot seems dry the next morning, it isn't bone dry. both aspalt and concrete will hold water below the surface, and when water freezes it expands. then i hope your clients brought their ice skates to work. this is how the majority of "black ice" occurs on streets.