1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When do you go?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMan4U, Nov 19, 2005.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

At what depth do you tell your customers you'll start plowing? In other words, what does the depth need to be for plowing fun to begin?:)

3"
    4"
    5"

2. gpin

gpin Senior Member

3". I plow often. It takes more time but is easier on the equipment. Plus, most of our clients are lawyers. Snow plowing and salting is a bill they are happy to pay.

3. green leaf

green leaf Junior Member

I just got a contract from Wendys, and there head office told me that it had to be a 1 " trigger for snow plowing. For most contracts around here it is a
    2" trigger.

4. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I go whenever I get the bubbles in my stomach.... o wait, this is about plowing snow. :p

5. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

i will plow 1 inch if it's going to be cold for the rest of the week, but I'll start at three or four if there will be more than six inches.

6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

2" trigger to push. :cool:

7. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE Junior Member

I used to use 2", than it was 1 1/2". This year its 1". My clients seem to be willing to pay more for clean pavement. Last night we had 1" of wet snow and we were out today. Got 45 properties finished in record time and it wasn't too hard on the equipment. It would have melted by dinner time but people were calling to have it done.

8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

First flakes.Most of our places have a one inch trigger

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I use a 2" trigger.

LLM I am curious where you are from, no one here even wants to sign the contracts yet, let alone pay for plowing 1". I wish. We got a mild dusting here... and it was 15 celcius today in the sun. Stupid weather.

10. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

We go at the focast of snow we pre treat ahead of the storm works best for me..

11. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

1"

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

1"...Plain and simple. If we're not pushing because it is just under that, then I'm still salting. Whatever it takes for them to have wet blacktop at 7 a.m..

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A 1 to 2 inch triger.

14. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

hmmm...

the town usually gives me a call when theres about 2-3 inches on the road depending on like what time it is... for example if its rush hour they tend to wait till theres less traffic out there, not that i mind cause as we all know people cant drive for **** in snow... wait no thats wrong people just cant drive :dizzy:

15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Most of my accounts have a 1" trigger. If it snows more than 1" , then we plow every 3-4". Anything less than 1", gets salted. I do have a couple of accounts that have a 1/2" trigger for plowing. Driveways get plowed at 2" trigger unless requested otherwise.

16. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE Junior Member

Derek, I'm up in Thunder Bay, about a 45 minute drive north of the Minnesota Border on Lake Superior. My government and bank clients want the lower trigger amount. As far as residential, I have never required a contract in 14 years of plowing and have only been stiffed once. Many of my cenior clients like having it swept clean to pavement.

We have odd weather in the community. The lake has a huge moderating effect on the city itself. Its like an air conditioner in summer and a heater for part of the early winter. What will fall as snow everywhere around us will fall as rain within a mile of the shoreline or worse, wet snow. I had less than an inch at my house (which is on a hill overlooking the lake) but many of my clients inland had up to 2 1/2 inches.) We have just learned to make the tour every snowfall to check on everybody. Sometimes we'll be out 16 hours and sometimes we're back asleep by 5 AM. It may cost us some gas and time but it keeps clients happy and loyal, which translates into referrals.

I've learned to read clients right from the estimate and I generally only work on referral. I also hand out an information sheet when people agree to hire me, explaining typical wait times for plowing, weather factors, ice build up, etc. This clears up a lot of miscommunication issues with clients early on.

17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Whatever amount they what me their at..

18. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Im new to plowing and all of my contracts so far have a 4" trigger

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

4" is alot of snow for a trigger, your going to have a hell of a mess if you get 2" and don't plow it off....:rolleyes:

20. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Yeah that is really high for commercial contracts... thats when people are already starting to get stuck and annoyed... not to mention falling etc. becomes more likely the longer you leave it.