1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when do you add another truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Oct 4, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

when do you guys determine to buy a second truck. Im starting to get in over my head, if im not already.

So far I have 25 resi's, 2 commercial accounts, and I have 6-8 more bids out on commercial propertys, and im getting mroe residential accounts everyweek.

When do you guys decide to add a second or third truck?

2. PremierLand

from detroit

and also, how do you guys decide to buy something newer (98+) or older (9:cool:, or brand spankin new?

3. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Old stuff is gonna break, despite the fact I have a 96 and 05, my 96 is in great condition. Im up to 20 or so accounts and am shooting for 40-50 atleast, which won't be to bad cause I have to talk with more of my mowing customers still. One thing with two trucks is if something happens to one, you have a backup which is key sometimes. Im working on getting a third truck currently (03-06 GMC or Chevy dump w/ Dmax) which will be used as a last resort (will be wired but no plow unless I get a deal). Dont stretch yourself to thin though dude, I had just enough last year to deal with...my route took about 3-5 hours (24 drives)(depending on snow) and I was doing $200/hour. Keep your route tight or you will regret it.
    Thanks
    James

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have enough work to keep the truck busy year round? If you don't then look into hiring a sub. Getting somebody to plow for you shouldn't be that hard if you treat them right and pay the a decent wage. Find out what the towns & state pay trucks in you area and offer somebody that kind of money and you should have good luck finding somebody reliable. It is better to pay them when it snows and you are both makin money rather than paying truck payment after truck payment when it does not snow or if you don't need the truck the rest of the year. :drinkup:

5. PremierLand

from detroit

yeah i have a use for one in the summer. I was using 3 at one point this summer, lol.

6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Are you looking to put someone in it or just have it as a spare?

7. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

The answer is simple. How many accounts can you do on your own in a timely fashion. We have our accounts done by 6am, of course this depends on when the snow falls but you get my drift. You can only do so many drives/lots etc. If you get too many get another truck. Not enough, stay with what you have. The big question is, do you have a dependable driver for that truck, one that will get out of bed a 2am and not still be drunk!

Also, if you have close to enough accounts for another truck, do it. You will keep it busy and you won't hesitate to take on more work. Also, as mentioned earlier, time is of the essence in plowing and no truck means no flow and possible lost accounts. You should ALWAYS have a backup plan.

8. PremierLand

from detroit

To put someone in it (my bro), and have them do the resi's and then I'd plow and salt the commercial lots.

9. PremierLand

from detroit

well this is my first year plowing, the past 2 years I used snowblowers, and now I have alot more accounts than I did lastyear, so I dont know the average time per house or commercial lot, so thats why im kinda freaking out.

my bro would be driving one of the trucks, hes 26, hes dependable up to a certain point, hes hard to wake up, but some nice cold water always gets him out of bed, and after that hes good to go.

Thanks Guys!!!

10. jglandscaping

Make sure you pay your help well also, Im paying my guys $12 and $20 / an hour to plow with my equip....You have to make it worth payup their while as my dad would say (hes getting paid the $20/hour,retired and nothing better to do :salute: )
    Good luck dude, what are you doing for school next year? I just started at the Thompson School of Applied Sciences at UNH this year and am running a full time business also :yow!: from here.
    Thanks
    James

11. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

You Could Just Stop Summiting Bids Too. And See How This Season Goes With What You Have. Like I Say Plowing Contracts Are So Easy To Get Its Not Hard To Get More Next Year.

12. PremierLand

from detroit

Ya I figured I'd pay my bro $20 an hour, and anyone else who works with me like $10 an hour.

For school next year, its funny you asked, I got accecpted to Western Michigan University today, I am waiting on another university, which is local, to know if I got accecpted then I will see what im going to do next year. I want to stay local so I can still run my business, but I'll see what im going to do in the spring

13. jglandscaping

What kind of truck were you thinking of adding Mark? I will be posting picks of my setup in the next few weeks after I get my XBlade mounted up :yow!:
    Thanks
    James

14. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Mark keep the jobs as close as possible, do not SPREAD them out too far.

Regards Mike

15. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

What if your truck breaks? You are screwed!

16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Just have a sub as a backup. That many accounts can be done with 1 truck. If you feel you're getting in over your head, stop bidding.

17. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

Nice to see you around!

18. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

add another truck between 50-60 total stops....

19. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

How do you figure that? My stops may be bigger than"Joes", "Joes" may be smaller than yours. How far apart are they? Way too general a theroy to be slinging around to people that are spending "real" money!

20. PremierLand

from detroit

I think im going to go ahead and get another truck...

I got accecpted to Western Michigan University, so if I go there I will start a landscaping company there, and then have my brother use my equipment and one of my trucks for the landscaping company here in detroit, while I work in kalamazoo and go to college.

So I figure ill get another 3/4 or 1ton this year and when I go to college next year I can buy another trailer and mower and what not and do landscaping in kalamazoo and have a small franchise.

but for now, im going to get another truck so I can have 2 trucks this winter and that way I can continue to take on accounts and make $$$