1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when do they sign

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by R.J.S. SNOWPLOW, Oct 23, 2010.

1. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

i have been going out and giving bids out and talking with owners they tell me put it in writting and i havent heard from them i put out about a good 20 bids out there i do charge reasonable fees

my question is when do they start calling and singing contracts

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

...As soon as it's a PITA for you to take on 10x the work load....Lol. It's true. I just got a major restaurant chain today. Some of the best (but hardest to get) clients sign in august. Most major contracts go up in mid October here, but many of my clients don't sign until close to turkey day :rolleyes: I run mega discounts for preseason. I discount everything to get deposits on work and materials down.

A lot of customers don't sign at all....It doesn't cover your A$$ on billing but it kinda keeps you safer on the liability side. Just say "nope, didn't do it." and don't collect on it. I hate noncontract myself tho. I won't do it again. It kills customer service. Remember though! it's a "service agreement" not a "contract"....scares 'em less.

Sometimes you won't get any calls back from doing lots of work on lots of bids. I lost a bunch that I reallllllyyyy planned on. But you know what? I got better ones down the street :nod: Don't take anything in business, as being personal.

3. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

??

how do you get them to give you a deposit

4. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I get deposits on all materials. How do you plan on getting that salt back after you spread it all over the ground? How could you afford to keep pallets/piles of salt without a deposit? I require like 50% or just charge about cost for a deposit. I also get two hour deposits before I consult for companies. Any "special" request gets deposits on getting "special" tools. Just make it known. It's not an option. Write a good check or give me cash....as soon as you do I can start on work. It only took me one mulch job to learn it the hard way... One man said, "well, your done. and I have the mulch laid. How do you plan on getting that $300 in materials back?" I thanked him last time I saw him (he payed but was a businessman too and wanted me to realize my mistake before I lost it all).

Make it mandatory. Small Claims can't always help you, and you just lose money for every hour you spend working on getting that money. Always pursue it for ethical reasons....but for financial reasons it never works.

5. POWER STROKE

POWER STROKE Member

For all my accounts per-visit or seasonal, I have the customer sign a service agreement and for seasonal whole amount up front.