1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When buying used plow truck-what to look for??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by deere615, Mar 1, 2011.

1. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

So I am always looking at trucks and normally I have always heard and felt not to buy a truck already equipped with a plow/salter. But sometimes there might be a good deal on a plow truck with what I want out there. My question is what are some things to look for on the truck to tell if its been taken care of or beaten. Obviously rust but what else could I specifically look for?
  2. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Look for trucks without plows/salters. Buy a southern truck.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I usually look for truck not equiped with plows, and put on what I want. There just seems to be huge difference between how I treat a truck, and how someone else treats a truck they are getting rid of.
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

yep. buy one with out any aftermarket stuff on it. like plows/salters/other stuff.

then add the stuff you want.

also find a nice clean sothern truck.
  5. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Look for rusted brake and fuels lines, Front wheel bearings, rusted out emergency brake cables, high output alternator, new battery or plan to replace all of these on any non-southern truck. Bent or cracked frame, Check any truck over good, get your cost to repair compare it against your ability to get a better truck with less repairs.
  6. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

floor pans, inside of the bumper, curb gaurds on the plow( if they have them it was prolly used commercially) what the inside of the truck looks like. ask a bunch of questions, dont hold back make it seem like you dont really want it now because its the end of the season they might work a little better price!
  7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I second on the brake lines, fuel lines, frame, ball joints, fuel tank, etc. get under the truck and look for rust under the truck. Once the truck rust the underside it is done.
  8. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Make sure to check fluids, oil, trans, brake, power steering and anti freeze. Look at there condition and/or level on the dip stick and sometimes that can tell you enough about the truck.
  9. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

take the fron tires off and make sure that the brake calipers are attached. check the steering rod system
  10. deere615

Ok guys thanks, Like I said I really dont want to buy a truck with a plow on but if it comes down to in I might. Also for checking things like ball joints there is really no way by just looking is there? Would I have to jack it up and wiggle the tire?
  11. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

bring it to a garage you trusted for a full inspection with the seller it help negociate and you wil see a lot better with the truck on a lift
  12. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

#1 is to never buy a used plow truck to make any kind of money with.The last person is getting rid of it for a reason.I bought my latest truck,an 02 F250 with plow from the local town.It was the highway superintendents truck.He hardly plowed with it,mostly cleaning up intersections.The truck seemed in good shape and only had 30k on it.The money I saved on it has already been put back into it.Best advice is to take a short vacation and buy a good used truck in a non snow/salt state and be alot further ahead.The depreaction is gone and the truck is still really clean.Thats what i will be doing this summer.
  13. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I've taken vacations to Tennessee and Oklahoma. Its amazing what salt does to steel. I'm done buying new and done buying rust.
  14. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I have gone as little as 9 hrs south to Virginia and 10 yr old trucks are like new down there compared to here.Same thing I told my wife,no more New York trucks.
  15. deere615

Thanks guys ya I just worry alot that I might not like it when I drive that far. Also say I wanted to get a loan but not through my bank, can I do that out of state?
  16. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

there are companies like Carchex who will send out someone to look at the truck for you prior to purchase anywhere in the country. It usually costs like 125$ and you get a full report and pictures of the truck so you don't have to drive 10 hours to be let down and waste time. That is what I do for a living. What make and model truck are you looking for? I can tell you what goes wrong and what to look for on about any truck or car.
  17. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

What do they look for on the 88-98 chevy trucks?
  18. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

If you're looking for a truck and plow combo im selling my plow after the season officially ends.... (no problems) 2009 plow truck with a Boss plow 25k miles for prob like 25-26K PM for more info

Its actually hard to sell because everyone thinks im doing some shoddy work! But older plow trucks are the worst to buy just because of all the front end damage they could/have. Also workers Beat the hell out of them if left unsupervised!

I say Before you buy:
    -Take a ride in the Truck
    -Spend $30 bucks and have a dealer check it out (If you are REALLY considering the truck)
    -Run the VIN And see what has been done to it.

If all clean Get it!

I say if you find a good deal (looks good, no problems, Know where its coming from...) on one with a plow (like mine) You're lucky!

What i do after i buy ANY USED truck is take it to my dealer where i buy/bought all of my NEW trucks and drop it off for a Full inspection.. They check Everything!
    Then give you a list of what is wrong with it. Which is nice to know before something happens.
  19. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Don't. You never know how the previous owner plowed, and with plowing as rough as it is on a truck, you could inherit a money pit fast.
  20. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I am very easy when I plow.During the summer as I came into my driveway,I started to smell burning.Opened the door and smoke was coming from the transmission.It cooked for no reason.No dealer could tell if the transmission is bad on a plow truck without taking it apart.