1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When are we going to make some real rules for the For Sale forum!?!?!!?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by got-h2o, Jan 29, 2010.

1. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm sure many of you are on my side, and maybe its been discussed before.

I get so sick of newbies coming on here with only the intent to make a sale. I feel that the For Sale forum should be a privilage to active members of the site, not a right for every web surfer that thinks this is craigslist. This "make offer" stuff by guys with one post gets old. Then you tell them to post a price, and they say "make offer". You then make a low offer and they get all pi$$ed off.

I also get irritated when someone will post and then never return to the thread to answer questions. Even if they post a ph# or email address its still annoying. I've checked profiles in the past of guys that post ads and weeks later haven't even bothered logging on to check up on the ad.

We can't PM someone new to the forum, but we can allow them to sell stuff at our and their own risk. It's rare that I'll respond seriously to a for sale ad if they are newly registered and have less than 20-30 useful posts.

Lastly, although its not always necessary, pics sure are a bonus. Some things are understandable, but listing a vehicle without pictures makes no sense. The first response is 100% of the time "Pics?".

:realmad: RANT OFF wesport
  2. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

x3.....still waiting on feedback that I know I will never receive!
  4. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

On a car forum Im on you have to have 75 posts before you can post in the for sale section
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the forums I am on make you wait a certain amount of time or have so many posts. I also can't understand why people don't put pictures up when they are selling stuff. Pics sell.
  6. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

They could delete or lock threads if no pics are posted
  7. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Post count and time of membership should be a big consideration, with more emphasis being on how long they have been a member. By adding just a post count requirement we might be encouraging lots of useless and stupid posts by people just to reach that #.
  8. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

I am going to have to appologize for that. i have been reading these forums for about a year now just never became a member,but have an absolute love for snowplowing... and snowplowing has been in my family for generations.. and i didnt want to make dumb little posts just to get involved and have these vetrans that i have a great respect for and could possibly build a professional relationship with down the road think im wasting everyones time with useless posts but now i decided to step up and become a member and get involved with the site and i was planning on selling my truck in this terrible year we have had in ontario for plowing snow it seemed like a fit to post on here.. so again i appologize i didnt think it would have been an issue.

Regards, Brandon
  9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

90 day or 60 min perhaps?
  10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The other thing I have a problem with is price feelers. It's pretty simple it's either for sale or not. I have a guy that I have tried to buy a truck off of, and he won't even respond to me. I have offered what I feel is a fair price to both parties, and not even the kindness of a response.
  11. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I agree that maybe it does annoy me when people post "what is it worth ads", but quite honestly that's no reason to make 1000 people suffer because of the actions of a couple idiots. Some people probably spend more time on here as some senior members and above just reading posts, learning information, and doing what they wish with the knowledge. Just because they don't comment on posts or make new ones doesn't mean they are any more of less of a member. Sure, offering your opinion and expertise helps make the site what it is, but if we all take from it what we want and not worry so much about what others are doing, then what does it hurt. As for posting pictures, sure- why would you post something for sale without posting pictures. Why they don't post pictures if either a lack of knowledge how to do it, resources available to do it, or they simply don't care enough to post them. Either way that's their loss right! Lets not make so many rules that the honest people can't operate. JMO
  12. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I too have tried to get a response from someone who listed an item for sale and then never replied to anyone's questions. It is very frustrating, and as was said, there is no way to PM those people which is very frustrating.

I think even a 1 or 2 day waiting period from joining would avoid a lot of those spontaneous posters, 60 or 90 days is practically a whole plowing season so that seams excessive.

The other thing that drives me nuts is when people don't list their location in the title...

The state or at least region or nearby city should be IN the title.

ie:2007 Fisher Speedcaster - Pittsburgh
    2006 8 foot Western Ultramount from '05 Dodge Ram 2500 - NY metro

That way people from Minnesota don't get excited and waste their time looking into something in Boston.

Allow the poster to edit, and more importantly, DELETE the ads when the items are sold. or, at least tag them as SOLD and prohibit further posts, a lot of times something is sold, but that is not revealed until 2 pages into the thread and new people find it 2 years later and reply after only seeing the first thread of the post.

13. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I'm new here,but it sure seems like there is a lot of crybabies around lately:rolleyes:
  14. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

^ you'll see if you stick around. All of these are valid points, and quite annoying.
  15. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

X 10! . I've also posted in the past about this. They make rules for everything why not this.
  16. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Don't you guys think they have enough stuff to do to keep the site running smooth?They do a great job.Keep up the good work. :waving:
  17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

18. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I know this has nothing to do with anthing but for the life of me I can not figure out how to pst a picture on this site. It is extremely difficult and I know I am not alone on this. I have had to email the picture to someone else to get it posted. I do not have this problem on other sites. I am not the most computer friendly person either, but I do enjoy reading the site.
  19. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

X50... There needs to be some waiting period
  20. procut

procut Senior Member

I agree something shoukd be done to improve the FS forum. I think the first should be some sort of waiting period before you can post there. I think if once you can send PMs it opens the FS forum would be the simplest. It really irritates me when I see someone who just joined the site that day, has 0 posts, and list their stuff for sale. The for sale forum is for ACTIVE MEMBERS, if you are not an active member, go list your junk on craigslist.

All the "feeler" threads are ********. This isn't hard, it's either for sale or its not. Whenever I see a "feeler" thread I always think, Translation: "I'll sell it, but only if I can get about twice what its worth."

All ads need to include, a price, phone number, location and picture. If you can't figure out how to upload a pic, you don't get to use the forum, that simple. If there is no pic, the first ten replies are just going to be "pictures please" So save the hassle and put up few pictures with the first posting.

Finally, be realistic about pricing. This is USED stuff. Some of the prices I see on there are so far out in left field. If your selling a truck that 10 years old with a 5-10 year old plow , you're not going to get replacement value for the plow. A lot of the stuff on there is old and has had the sh!t run out of it, and isn't worth much, or it's used rusted out plows and spreaders that are incomplete and missing parts, which aren't worth jack.

RANT OVER. my "suggestions" will fall on deaf ears anyways.