1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen wiring/sync questions.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Gix1k4, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I'm sure it's been asked before (I did search), but i'm gonna ask again to be absolutely certain.

I bought 2 Vertex hide-a-ways, and 2 TIR3's. I'm planning to install the vertex's in the reverse lights and the TIR3's on the backrack brackets facing sideways. I already have an l.e.d. beacon up top on the backrack, running off a switch in the cab. I'd like to set up the vertex/TIR's to run staggered wig-wag style.

Here are my questions;
    1) Can I tie all 4 lights into the power wire already in the cab for the beacon?

2) Can I run one 4 wire common sheathed cable to all the lightheads from the 2 in-cab switches? (momentary and on-off)

Keep in mind that this is my 1st experience with whelen l.e.d. strobes. Thanks for any help, I want to do this the right way once, and not have issues down the road.

2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

yes

3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you have everything sealed really good. You're not drawing that much power through the wires so your fine.

4. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

And one more question that I forgot to add in the 1st post...and it may be a dumb one...

I'm assuming that I'll still need to fuse each light separately, downstream of the switch, as opposed to a single fuse for all 4 lights. Correct?

5. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Just put the fuse right after your tap for poer before the switch. That will protect evertthing down stream.

6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

1 fuse is fine

7. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Thanks again for the help. Got 'em wired up and I'm hoping to get a vid to post.....been kinda preoccupied with trying to figure out my rough-start issues with the truck.

8. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Well here's a vid for you. It was shot on my point & shoot digicam. The lights flash faster than it shows, the cam couldn't keep up...
    [​IMG]

9. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

looking good.