1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Vertex Led's Western Wide out

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jcyonker, Dec 31, 2009.

1. jcyonker

jcyonker Member

I just finshed installing (8) eight Whelen Vertex Led's on my 2007 GMC with Western Wideout. I used a boat trailer wiring harness to attach the lights on the plow to the truck. I installed the power switch mode button, inside the ash tray in the truck so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. The lights are quite a bit brighter at night and they work great. Follow this link for the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugMV_7Wf_XM

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Probably looks great at night. I like the set in the cab light. Were you able to keep the clear bulbs in or did they have to be removed?

3. jcyonker

jcyonker Member

I had to take them out. There wasn't quite enough room to keep them in. They are great at night.

4. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Can you get some video of those at night? How visible are those from a small distance?

I have been searching high and low for a video of surface mounted Vertex's!!! Thank you very much for posting this!:drinkup::drinkup:

5. jcyonker

jcyonker Member

I will try to get video this evening for you. They are very visible up close as well as far away. They are out of sight when off, but very bright during dusk and at night. As with most lights, not very bright during the day.

6. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

I would appreciate that, Thanks. I am pretty happy with them in my head/tail lights.

BTW, I started a thread a while ago asking for videos of surface mounted vertex's and no one could find any, so I posted your video in that thread. I hope you don't mind! And sorry if you do.

7. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

I'm planning on putting the vertex lights in my 09 Sierra. Any tips, or things to avoid with the install? I like how you hid the switches. Slick.

The reverse lights seem pretty straight forward. What about the headlights? Did you remove the lights from the truck? I was thinking of going with the High Beams, just wondering why you chose the low beams?

Thanks.

8. jcyonker

jcyonker Member

Here are a couple more videos. The first video is at Dusk on an overcast day, the second is at night. I have not had a chance to "SYNC" the lights yet and will be doing so as soon as I can. Thanks for looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HebIFzGmq8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN0XYKFFqGE

9. Bernie Lomax

Thanks for the vids. If you have time to answer my questions above I would really appreciate it.

10. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Nice videos! I have the vertex for my truck just havn't had time to install them yet. I got Amber for my front turn signals and in my reverse lights will be blue for when im working with the fire dept. I already have rear facing amber led's in my truck toolbox. Ill post a video when i get them completed

11. jcyonker

jcyonker Member

hey Bernie...To answer some of your questions. I pre-wired the truck with 4 conductor,
    18 to 20 gauge wire. I ran all the wires from the engine compartment to each location wher the light will be. I put the wire in that plastic flex tubing to protect it when I ran it under the truck. I basically followed the wiring that is already on the truck (driver side). The nice thing about these led's is that there power/mode units are inline with the wiring, so once I got the lights in place, I just soldered the wires and used heat shrink tubing to seal the joints.
    In the engine compartment I used a 3"x4" weather proof box, drilled holes in each end and ran my wiring into that before connecting them all. To connect all the wires together, I purchased a low voltage wiring block at lowes, its 3/4 wide by about 4" long, it has small screws that tighten down on the wire. Now, I then ran a seperate black and red to the inside of the truck where i connected them to the switch. Mounting the switch in the ash tray was a pain, but well worth the time. I basically cut out the left side of the ash tray, there are two parts to the ash tray that you have to cut out. I used a utility knife very carefully to cut it, but you could probably use the 1" hole saw. I mounted the switch with a 2x2 piece of heavy duty velcro.
    Now, as far as the locations. I did have to take the headlights out, well actually when they installed the plow the installer had the whole front end apart so I took them out then. I wanted to do the top or bright lights but do to the design of the housing, the only spot I could find to safely drill the hole was on the bottom. Just go very slow, you'll drill through the black plastic housing first and then the chrome reflector portion. Now, when you insert the light, just the top of the led will stick in to the headlight, due to the housing being a 1/4 off from the chrome, but you'll still get flash through the hole.
    The rear lights were the same when you drill be carefull. Before mounting the lights, blow out the small pieces of plastic that fall into to the lights. Make sure you silicone the heck out of the light before screwing it down.
    When you screw it down, the screws that come with the Led's will poke through the chrome about 1/16th of an inch, so if you'd like you might want to get a little bit shorter screw. The cargo lights were the easiest. I took out the light to drill it and there is already holes on the bottom of the housing that the lights fit in to. I had to take out the white lights though.
    I hope this helps and good luck with your venture. Jason

12. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Very nice job...I'm adding more to my truck....I have an 07 dodge so I've got the double walled lights too....did you seal the outer black plastic housing? I'm thinking of doing that just to keep the moisture out of the lights....

13. Bernie Lomax

I saw one of Dissociative's posts where he cut one hole 1.5" then drilled the 1" hole in the inner wall of the headlight. Would that work here?

14. jcyonker

jcyonker Member

I think that would work, except that you would be putting the screws right in to the Chrome part of the headlight, which shouldn't be a problem. The other thing I thought of after writing that novel, was that you need to sink all of the lights to the same mode before you actually hook them all up together, This is what I still have to do to mine.