1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Vertex - LED Hide-a-Ways

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Fire_n_Ice, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

I have six of these Whelen Vertex Hide-a-Ways mounted inside of my front and rear lights and I have seen that Whelen advertises a surface mount flange kit for these. So, my question is, does anyone have or has anyone seen any of these Vertex's surface mounted and if so do you have a video of it. I have seen pictures but I really want to see a video to see how they look. I am currently looking to put 2 TIR3 on both sides of the truck but I am thinking if these don't look too bad I might give them a try.

Granted, I know the TIR3 are cheaper and probably brighter, but I think these could be less of a directional light and give a broader light. I could be wrong. Thanks for any input ... and yes, I did do a search already and didn't find anything on this.

vtxfba.jpg

2. Racer593

Racer593 Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

buy LIN3s they give off a broader light...

4. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

That is what I was thinkin ... Just trying to think outside the box ... Besides, from what I can tell they are still slightly cheaper too ...

Still want to see a video if anyone has one ... curious to see how they work surface mounted.

Is the only difference between LIN3 and TIR3 the reflector?

5. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

So, I inadvertently found my answer. These are courtesy of PS Member JCYONKER. I was admiring his light setup and found that he surface mounted his Vertex's. IMO, they look great, just want to see them at night. Thanks again JCYONKER!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ugMV_7Wf_XM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ugMV_7Wf_XM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Actually the reflectors are the same. The difference is the optics that are in front of the LED's. They just disperse the light differently.

7. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Gotcha, so which of the two spreads the light more....I would guess the LIN's

8. SafetyLighting

Yes, the LIN's.

9. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Why the huge popularity with the TIR's? Everyone around me has them.....I prefer the LIN's now that I have been reseaching videos on them

10. SafetyLighting

Well, I always use the SoundOff LED3 which is a TIR type lense. I just don't think the LIN is very effective at a good light spread anyway, so why not concentrate the light where you really need it.

11. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Seems to be resonable logic....I am just going to have to take a look and compare them in person. Thanks for the info.

BTW What does the SoundOff LED cost?