1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Vertex Install Video (Night)

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Joe Snow, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Unforuntately, the video doesn't do these things justice. They're bright as all get out. I'm glad I went with LED's rather than strobes as they'll last longer, burn cooler and I didn't have to worry about electrical interference with my radio or other sensitive equipment in my truck.
    I'd buy 'em again.xysport
    Sorry for the poor quality video....
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i207.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid207.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/Radulator/Whelen%20Vertex/DSCF6007.flv">

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i207.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid207.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/Radulator/Whelen%20Vertex/DSCF6008.flv">
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

It looks good, but I prefer strobes......
  3. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

Looks good, I really need to do something like that, maybe in the spring

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

much better at night, they look fairly worthless in the day time.
  5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Joe, if you get the opportunity, put 2 more in the cargo lights, you won't regret it.
  6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What happens when you use your turn signals or back up ...With those installed... ?????
  7. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

I have switched reverse lights mounted under the bumper for nighttime work. As far as turn signals, it doesn't matter as the strobes won't be on while I'm going down the road, just plowing. I've still yet to purchase a light bar for the roof.
  8. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I have those same vertex LEDs installed in my reverse lights on my 2005 Chevy, just not white ones. I used amber LEDs....I put a relay in that shuts off the white reverse lights when the LEDs are on so that I don't wash the amber LEDs out with white reverse lights.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  9. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

10. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

How did you wire up the relay to kill the reverse lights? I use my reverse lights to trigger the rear flood lights.
  11. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I found and cut the wire that sends "hot" to the reverse lights under the dash. I wired the "switch" side of that wire to pin 30 on a standard auto relay, and the "bulb" side of that wire to the "normally closed" pin on the relay. Then I sent "hot" from my LED light switch to the actuator pin on the relay in addition to sending "hot" to the LED lights. Then I grounded the other side of the "actuator" pin on the relay. This turns off my back-up lights when LEDs are on. I also added work lights under my rear bumper but they are on a separate switch.

If you want your bumper lights to be on when back-up lights are off, you could probably do that with 2 relays, but it would be easier to isolate them on their own switch.
  12. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

nice lights i was thinking to go to led but they told me 400 bucks for 6 lights not even installed :dizzy:
  13. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Can't get by on 4? Install 'em yourself. Gives you something to do while waiting for the snow to fly:eek:
  14. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Looks Good But I like Strobes!
  15. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Sorry but Im confused. This is how I have my lights set up. How would I go about setting up a second relay?