1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Vertex and FS mini bar

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Mark13, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Finally got my led haw's in after having them sitting in the box they shipped in since february. Ambers in the front and ambers in the rear behind the red tail light lense. Original plan was to put them in the reverse lights but I didn't look ahead of time to see if there was room for them, doh. Also have my Federal Signal mini bar that's been on my truck for a few years now.

Not the best video, used my phone and the lense was dirty. Each led head flashes 3 times before it changes side. It's hard to tell straight on but if you look at the opposite side of the vehicle you can see it a bit better.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O__heKDWCHQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O__heKDWCHQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

looks good!

3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, what are you controlling all that with?

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Just normal toggle switches. I have 5 of them in my cab. 1 for the lightbar, 1 for the 2 work lights on my backrack, 1 for the work lights under my rear bumper, 1 for the front 2 leds and 1 for the back 2.

5. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

What lightbar is that?

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

7. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Thanks for the link.

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

is there a controller box or something that makes them flash, or is that built into each light. maybe you could explain you rinstall. I really like that setup. I think I would like to do that just on the back, as I am wondering if would get alot of reflection off the blade?

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

There is a flasher unit wired in line with each LED head, great design, i run them too!

10. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Nice lights.
    I always wonder though how they're supposed to work hidden behind the plow? Or even worse, don't they reflect back?

11. mcwlandscaping

Mark, you make me wish i went with the ambers up front in my truck! I have just seen regular amber halogen hideaways and that completely turned me off to the colors even though i should have given the LED more of a chance! Oh well, i'm happy with mine overall!

Did you sync your front and back hideaways together or were they just flashing close to the same pattern in the vid? LOOKS GOOD!!

12. mcwlandscaping

the LED's don't reflect anywhere near as much as a reg. halogen HAW strobe tube. They won't be as bright behind the plow as with the plow but they still will be visible to some extent...that's where the lightbar comes into play though!

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The fronts are sync'd together and so are the rears. They both are on the same pattern and just happened to look like they were all wired together.

14. mcwlandscaping

I was gonna say you REALLY must have wanted those lights to be synced if you did all that! lol it looks real sharp Mark, again, really wish i went with the ambers in mine!

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was debating if I wanted to go clear or amber, figured I'd give amber a shot and I'm happy with them. Kinda wish they had more of an orange tint to them but the way they are now being more yellow they stand out against my orange tinted parking lights a lot better.

I'm deffinetly putting more in my next truck. Got my eye on an 06 dmax :nod:

16. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Looks good mark.....its not to much....or not enough light.....i guess your plowing with the chevy again?

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, 3rd season with it. As much as I want a 1ton diesel I just can't get myself to get rid of it. It's been a great truck for as much as I over work it, very rarly gives me any problems and is easy to work on. Just did a tune up on it last week and changed all the fluids. It runs as smooth as could be, while idling the rpms vary by no more then 5. It does pretty good for 12yrs old and 174k+ on it. Maybe in the spring I'll get a diesel, but don't be surprised if you still see me in this truck next season also.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  18. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Sweet. I like it.:drinkup:

19. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice lights good job!

20. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Nice Mark.....stick with what works. Plus that truck makes you money everytime you go out. Bryans truck has 275,000 on it and still going strong..lol Have a good winter:drinkup: