1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whelen strobe vs whelen vertex led's

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by gtmustang00, Nov 19, 2010.

1. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Are the whelen hideaway strobes the same physical size as the whelen vertex led's? Looking into buying a pair of taillights that had vertex led's in them. I have the strobes, just dont want the housing melting or strobe touching the reverse light. 99-07 superduty tail lights.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. SnowJersey

SnowJersey Senior Member

correct, they both use a 1" hole

3. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Just be sure the guy isn't replacing them because he drilled the 1 inch holes in the wrong place. The LEDs take up less space inside the housing than the strobes.

4. 03dmax1

03dmax1 Junior Member
    from NH

is the LED shorter then the strobe??

5. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

yes..........

6. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the tail lights should be fine. but the reverse that could be a little tight i would never use the strobes in the reverse light too tight

7. 03dmax1

03dmax1 Junior Member
    from NH

YUP i screwed mine up, drilled to close now the bulb wont fit in. does anyone make a smaller reverse bulb, would be cheaper then new tail lights

8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

led bulbs for the reverse are smaller sometimes..

9. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Have you found a smaller reverse bulb yet? Mine are a little close. I'm looking for a smaller bulb. Led or not doesn't matter to me. 3156 is what i'm looking for a replacement for.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  10. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I strobes in tail and reverse lights. They will fit and have worked well for going on 3 years.

11. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

Not to hijack this thread, but if you hook up these vertexes and do not sync them together will they all keep alternating patterns individually if you have a momentary switch wired to them?

12. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

If you do not sycn them they will each do the pattern you set them to. You can still run them to a momentary switch to change patterns but they will look funny. Very easy to sycn them so why not use it?

13. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

No reason I was just curious, I thought it would maybe look better if they weren't synced but I will end up syncing them. I think I initially thought that by them being "synced" that each led will flash at the same time but the whole purpose of the different flash patterns is to have one flash when the other is not or so I believe.

Thanks