1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Strobe problem

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Diesel Nick, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

I have the whelen 690 hide a way strobe system, and I went to turn them on today and they did not turn on. I have checked the fuses, I have power to the box, and when I turn on the switches nothing happens. the switches have power to them. Would i have a bad power supply? Is it normal for them to fail? I find it hard to beleive that all 6 bulbs failed at the same time. Am I overlooking something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

verify that you have both power and ground at the power supply inputs.

3. Lou512

Lou512 Junior Member

bad ground or chaffed / cut lead wire somewhere . also check where your tapped into the fuse box . wiggle it at the port . you'll find it .

4. firemt036

firemt036 Junior Member

power supplies can fail! lucky for you whelen is compatible with many other brands that are cheeper than whelen...federal and I have a star pak both cheeper ...I used a site called strobes for less not sure if still in business but great guy fast shipping and good prices

5. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

I will have to check the grounds tomorrow, its odd how they worked 3 days ago when I was plowing and now they just dont work. what other power supplys are compatiable with the whelen csp690 in case it is the supply thats bad?

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Do you hear any buzzing at all. If so check all input wires the ones that go into power supply. Or check and see if you has power going to lights.

7. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

I didnt hear anything from the box, I washed the truck yesterday, so Im not sure if anything got into the connectors to cause the unit not to turn on.

8. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

You might have given yourself the answer to your question. Are all of connections waterproofed? If not, Silicone the connections on the truck side exposed to the weather conditions. My guess is... When you washed your truck, the connections got wet. They are designed to short out until the area is dry again. I had this problem 8 years ago when I got my 1st truck. After correcting the problem I ALWAYS SILICONED everything. Hope this helps.

9. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

Thanks for the responses, I was bored on lunch and started messing around with my lights, they work now. I would guess that water got into the connectors and shorted them out. I just dont understand, I silicon the bulbs to the lenses and put dielectric grease on the connections. It looks like I need to get back in and waterproof them better.

thanks again,
    Nick

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have the same problem on 2 trucks. 690 boxes that will work for hours on end, then randomly shut off for a period of time, then a little later come back.

11. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

Silicone the connectors where the 3 wires go into the amp mate connectors and silicone around the connectors themselves. Then wrap them in electrical tape. After that wrap them in flex tubing. Once you correct it, you'll repeat the steps and NEVER have the problem again. I actually run a water hose on the connections after repeating the steps above to test them myself. Hope this helps...