1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen strobe light question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bushwoods1, Jan 25, 2005.

1. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

Have a question about my Whelen strobes. I installed a Whelen mini strobe bar last year, and love it. However this past weekend while out plowing I noticed that it had a "chirping" sound when each individual strobe actually flashed. I did not notice it doing that in the past, and wondered if it was due to the severe cold, or maybe warning me that the bulb is getting ready to go. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'll try to get some picks of my rig posted later today after I get it cleaned up from this weekends work. Thanks in advance. Bill
  2. FF279

FF279 Banned

Hey Bill, Im a vol. FF here in Ny all of our new equipment is equiped with Whelen Strobe Lightbars!. When the Strobes flash they do make a chirping noise, sometimes in noticeable, and then it's not. Hope this help, stay safe.>>Ryan

P.S. Can you post some pics up of your rig, i'd love to see them :waving:
  3. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I never really noticed the noise before. I'll get some pics posted later today, or tomorrow once I get it cleaned up from this past storm clean up. Ill let you know when I post them in the Pics. forum. Bill
  4. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

I used to have a single bulb, double hit strobe. It wasn't a Whelen, though. If I got close enough, I could hear that little "chirp" you describe.

On the LED light I have, I can hear that, too, which kind of surprised me. It's reaaaaaal quiet though.
  5. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

I have posted pis of my rig in the pictures forum. Enjoy. Bill
  6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

better than the wirring sound my mini rotor light bar makes. good thing i just ordered a new whelen light bar. :)
  7. n1alx

n1alx Junior Member

It's normal for most strobes to "chirp" or "click".

I have clear Federal Signal Hideaways in my headlights and two red grille lights and they click every time they blink. It's normal
  8. the high pitch 'chirp' from strobes is the capacitor charging after it discharges. Kinda like the flash for a camera.
  9. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. o4.... I know what you mean about the rotators...listening to that whirring all night is enough to make you go insane...thats why I switched to the stobes.
  10. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Strobes are COOL :nod:

Beacons "ROCK" :redbounce