1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whelen strobe box

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Bulldozer, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

Do any of you have a recommendations of what 90w model I shud use for two hideaways in the front and four 500 series in rear I'd like to have switch 3 ways .

thanks

2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Whelen CSP690

3. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

If you want the 500s to be as bright as the two helix bulbs, use the UPS690, it is regulated and the 500s wont seem dim like they do on a CSP690 when mixed with helix style bulbs.

4. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

Thanks for the input guys. :nod:
    I'd like it brite and if I need to dim it I can. I have a space of 3.5 X 7.75 to fit strobes. The 500 strobes grommet mount fit or is their another remote strobe that would fit better.

5. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

What is the difference between the WHUPS690 and the UPS690 ?

Just missed a used UPS690 and strobes on ebay for $160:redbounce

6. BlueLine Ent

WHUPS690 is just someone elses (vendor) model number for it. Whelen UPS690 = WH(elen)UPS690. Same thing.

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I dont think its safe to run helix and linear tubes on the csp series line. For some reason I remember hearing that. On the heavier duty whelen supplys I think its okay. Wheres blueline???:)

8. BlueLine Ent

Its fine to run both kinds on the CSP supply, but like I said above, the linears will not be full brightness when they are sharing an un-regulated supply like a CSP690. The CSP line is just as tough as any other, it just has different features.

9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

gotcha. The other whelen p/supplys are pricey!! The ISP series look good.

10. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

Is it worth buying a used UPS690 strobe supplie? What whould you be willing to spend?
    thanks

11. BlueLine Ent

Depends on how old and approximate amount of run time.

12. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

It was pulled form a 2006 Crown Victoria that was pulled from service. It comes with six hideaways.

13. BlueLine Ent

As long as it looks to be in good physical shape, I'd put $75 out for the supply. I don't trust used bulbs, but if they throw those in too then heck why not.

14. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

good info blue line...i never knew that about mixing tubes.