1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Slimlighters

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lynden-Jeff, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I figured I would be best asking you guys since most of you have warning lights. Im looking to purchase a Whelen Slimlighter LED or ULTRA LED model. Im wondering how much brighter the Ultra is? I will be using it mostly during the day. I would prefer the cheaper model but if its garbage then Ill spend the extra.

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Members at my fire dept use both versions and i think both are very bright. The newer ultra is supposed to be better and brighter but i think the original Slimlighter is plenty bright.
  3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

All the Whelen products are fairly bright. I can vouch for the Ultra-LED model, have seen it in action and it is bright! I have a Talon, and all I have to say is damn!:eek: ;)
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

I have one I'll sell you. Its a regular whelen slimligther. Its sitting in my desk. I had it on a personal truck, but since I have a company vehicle now, I have no need for it. Make me an offer.
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Pictures and how much do you want for it? flykelley930@aol.com

Regards Mike
  6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

The TIR 6 slimlighter is a much better light. The difference is the generation on the LED's. The ultra or tir6 has gen 3 LED's while the original has gen 1. If you're trying to shine through tint than the TIR6 is a must! Where are you playing on putting the light and is it the only form of warning lighting on your truck?
  7. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

really there is no difference on the effectivness of the light except for the physical light structure .. if you get amber color ... there both bright ... i have the cheaper model (5mm leds) just as bright .. just me .002
  8. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

I really have to disagree. The gen 1 product is not nearly as effective. During the night time yes the light is great. Its seen well and is very bright. But during the day these light are, well pardon the pun but "night and day". Below I have put a link to a amber slimlighter 5mm.

Below is another video of a TIR6 slimlighter turning the day time.

The difference is VERY noticeable. Clearly the two lights are in totally different. If your gonna spend the money on a light and want to provide good warning, go with the better product. Its about a 60-80 dollar difference in price, thats well worth every penny. I have both lights, and as soon as i get my camera back from being repaired i will set up the two next to each other.