1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Responder R2LP Or STL Fusion Ace Quad

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ad8 PRODIGY, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ad8 PRODIGY

ad8 PRODIGY Junior Member

Been looking alot at the two lately, need to upgrade my old rotary i use for plowing. I have not heard a bad thing about the Whelen, but the STL seems quite a bit bigger and therefore brighter. I am unsure of the 1 year warranty, but its only going on the truck when its going to be used. Im worried because I saw a light bar on a chief's car on Youtube and he says the bar is worn out, but seems fine in the video. Anyone care to clarify?

https://www.speedtechlights.com/product_detail.php?iid=1&catid=4&id=288

http://www.strobesnmore.com/whelen-lp-series-responder-led.html

Thanks in advance fellas :redbounce

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

The first one seems tall. I see the one from Strobes N More all the time around here. It looks like a really nice bar.

I have a falcon, and its a good light bar so far, had it for 6 months and used continuously for my summer job.

3. ad8 PRODIGY

I had the same feelings for the one being tall. And my older brother has the responder, its stupid bright, I just wasn't sure because the dimensions on the Speed Tech LED's look bigger, if the light output was greater. They seem like they would be more noticeable in the daylight because of that.

4. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Nope. Not more noticeable. Whelen or i have a falcon also and i like it alot. Pretty darn bright

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

those are what appear to be gen3 led in the STL junk...bigger DOES NOT mean brighter.

honestly man these two bars arent even in the same league.,.junk and professional...

get the whelen....

6. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

they're small and look like candles compared to the more expensive products there on that site .Thumbs Up

7. Get the Whelen Responder. Best light I have owned, you will not be sorry.

8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes!
    You get a thumbsup
    STL are crap, get a good brand, like whelen or able 2 or sound off.

9. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

I have the Whelen you're looking at. Its an AMAZING bar. Definitely get the Whelen.
    Here my bar @ night.
    Night Time You Tube Vid.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Like others have said, get the Whelen. The LP Responder are the only light bars we run, built very well, plenty of flash patterns and like everyone said....VERY BRIGHT!

11. ad8 PRODIGY

Okay haha, I figured this was the response I was gonna get, but figured I would check anyway. Im gonna go with the responder. And I know its bright, my brother woke me up with it coming into my window one night during a storm haha.

12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I got the same one from S&M and I am very happy with it. It puts out a ton of light and the compact size is great. I have the whelen mini justice on my other truck and it is great light, but from here on out I am just going to keep getting the responder LP. Spend the extra and get a quality light.

13. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I see you made your decision, but thought I would add that I have a responder as well, and am very pleased with it. Crazy bright (and can be dimmed), lower profile. Definitely the better bar!

14. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Can someone post a video of the Responder? I want to check out the off axis light, it dosnt seem to bright that way, but I want to see if it is bright enough.

15. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

No video, but it can be blinding at night, especially if you catch it at the right angle. Off-axis is plenty bright. There are a lot of videos floating around here that I've seen.

16. ad8 PRODIGY

The few times ive been out at night with it, even if you dont see the bar, you can see the light off everything in sight, not kidding. Its crazy....

17. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

go with the responder or maybe the centrury

18. toroplowman

toroplowman Member

get whelen. i have it on my truck super bright

19. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Do not buy speed tech, they are junk, lights go bad, not waterproof and terrible customer service with no warranty.Whelen.

20. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Dude, www.youtube.com there are hundreds.