1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Responder mini bar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cjpik1, Jan 13, 2009.

1. cjpik1

cjpik1 Junior Member

I have searched around here and have found part of my answer. Here is the situation.

I would like to purchase a Responder mini bar. I have a 2008 F250 with the upfitter switch package. For those of you not familiar with those they are 4 prewired switches factory mounted in the dashboard. I would prefer the permanent mount light as I have no need for the cigarette lighter plug adapter that is offered with the magnetic mount version. Now onto my problem/question. I understand that the perm. mount light only comes with 2 wires. Positive and negative. From what I have read the only way to change the pattern on the bar is to remove the cover and access the board and apply 12 volts to a certain circuit. I was wondering if I could buy the mag. mount version and do the following..
    1. Cut the plug off and discard.
    2. wire the positive to switch one.
    3. Wire the negative
    4. Wire the pattern selector wire to switch 2.

My question is would this work in selecting the different patterns being that it is not a momentary switch i would have to manually turn it on and off.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.
  2. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

No..Whelen responder(perm mount) has 6 wires comming out of it...the white/purple is the wire you need to switch flash patterns. Hook that wire to a momentery switch.and your good to go...The other wires are to sync the bar to other lights on the truck, and one is to change the flash pattern to a set chosen pattern when u hit that switch...U can ues a regular rocker switch instead of a momentery switch to change parrerns..I couldnt find a momentery switch local, so i used a rocker...workeds, but I will order a momentery switch when i get around to it.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

gte the perm mount
  4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Perm mount and BT is right on the wiring. Hardest part is getting the wires to your pre-mounted switches.
  5. benjaminlawns

benjaminlawns Junior Member

I got the mag mount and cut the cord and extended it to a rocker for on/off and a momentary for the patterns.Works great.