1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Responder LIN6 model

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 802PlowMan, Oct 21, 2010.

1. 802PlowMan

802PlowMan Junior Member
    from 05495

I just purchased the permanent Whelen Responder linear 6 led strobe light from strobes-n-more. it says on the website comes with a 6 inch pigtail. Im looking to wire it into a switch on my dash. it looks like it comes with 6 different wires out the bottom. Just curious if anyone has hooked one up before and has any tips or suggestions. Which wires to run? what to use for wire from the light to the cab? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

2. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

3. Shortandfat

Shortandfat Junior Member

Yeah i have a set of these, they come with a sheet that labels the wires and what they do. Just like what Kitn1mcc linked. I believe mine also had a grey "sync" wire that would make them flash at the same time. You can just leave the pattern wire free once you have picked a pattern. I have them into a switch in the cab, it was an easy install. There great lights i love them.
    Hope this helps

- Tim

4. 802PlowMan

802PlowMan Junior Member
    from 05495

Yes helps a lot thank you both. quick question what gauge wire did you run from the light into the cab ? its supposed to be at my door when I get home from work, pretty excited hopefully have it hooked up in the next week.

-Ryan

5. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

16gauge should be good for power amd 18 for sync and non power

6. Shortandfat

Yeah, thats what i believe i used. One thing that is easy to do if you are running a bunch of wires through your firewall you can use an extension cord that you cut the ends off (there are 3 wire inside). or any other type of wire that has multiple wires inside. Just makes it easier. But really anything 12 or 16 gauge will be fine.

7. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

that type of wire is not SAE approved and if it fails and causes a fire your insurance can deny a claim. also that type of wire does not take well to chemicals and such

8. Shortandfat

Yeah, a more appropriate, but yet more expensive alternative is some kind of trailer wire. I believe you can get different sizes. I know i have one with 7 (i think) interior wires. Now thats over kill for the grills but something along those lines is what im getting at.

- Tim

9. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i just order wire and loom from waytek wire and make my own harness

10. 802PlowMan

802PlowMan Junior Member
    from 05495

Thank you guys that helps a lot. hopefully have it all wired up next week. back rack bracket is coming in today just have to find some trailer wire.