1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen problems

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by garyparr8, Jan 25, 2011.

1. garyparr8

garyparr8 Member

I have a 90w Whelen hideaway kit in my 09 2500 which I put in durring the summer and has worked fine until the winter. The strobes work until I start to drive in the snow then when I flip the switch they don't turn on and the power supply sounds like it's struggling as opposed to the normal ticks of the flashes. The only thing I can think of that might be causing this problem is I have the excess cord looped together under the truck which might be gathering snow some how freezing the wires(this doesn't seem likely to me but I'm not quite sure what else it could be). Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I had the same thing happen to me and found that I have 1 bad strobe wire, once I found bad wire and unpluged it my system worked fine, minus the one I unpluged. Still waiting on my new strobe wire to arrive. Good luck and hope this helps
  3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Check your connections at the strobe tubes, if you used the standard AMP connectors, and they get wet, they can short out. Either pack them pull of dielectric grease, or cut them off and use some butt splice connectors with the shrink tubing or solder/shrink tube them.
  4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

as said....its a connection or a wire....unplug all 6 and plug em in 1 at a time timm you find the one that trips the supply into protection mode..(buzzing noise) then leave that 1 unplugged..

check connections at lights and as said replace with better method...i prefer the red heat shrink butt connectors with adhesive inside them...
  5. garyparr8

garyparr8 Member

thanks a lot guys, im going to check all my connections tonight and ill let you know...thanks again!
  6. loudredram

loudredram Member

What I do with the amp connectors is I fill the backs with silicone sealer where the wires go in and pack the insides with dielectric grease. I do this with all my installs and never have a problem. going on 10 years in my own personal truck
  7. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

also check your to make sure you have a good ground

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

the 690s wont allow you to run 1 bulb at a time you need atleast 2 hooked up to have the strobes turn on.
  9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

not in any 690 i ever owned