1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen problem

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by DirtyJerzey, Dec 17, 2008.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

My strobes Whelen Crimestopper 90w with 6 bulbs have worked fine since I put them in last year. Last night while out I flipped my lights on and they didnt work. Checked all the connections and nothing. Finally today in the light i took a better look and I can hear the power supply just buzz, it doesnt do that normal noise for when the strobes flash. Im getting no lights on at all, just buzzing at the power supply. Checked all fuses and everything is fine. Could the power supply be shot?
  2. Brian469

Brian469 Junior Member

Sounds like you have a short in a wire. Do a search for all the other threads that discuss this exact topic, and theres a reply on one from BlueLine Ent that explains how to test and whatnot. He's really up on his stuff.
  3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Check the ground of the strobe pack it self. If that's not it, Unplug all but one light and see what happens. If it works go to the 2nd and so on. If you still just get the buzz and nothing working... FRIED!

Check with Blueline... He's the Pro.
  4. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Dont be dumb like me and touch to wires that dont go together and get a good STROBEIN
  5. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

but on the other hand just go over all the wires thats happend to me and i had a screw in a wire grounding everything out
  6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Mine stopped working also, I took a multimeter and checked the power IN, had it. Checked the 6 outlets.....nothing at all. Sent the power supply back in, It was fried. Week later I had a new one.
  7. bridge577

bridge577 Member
    from ohio

Try to unplug connections one at a time, with the lights turned on,if acouple of lights come back on you could actually have one to 2 bad bulbs that would cause the rest not to work. I know it sounds crazy but I had the same problem last year. One bad bulb cased other 3 not to work.
  8. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

still havent torn anything apart to check, but last night i turned them on and left the switch on for a few minutes and slowly one by one i started to get bulbs working, with eventually all 6 bulbs firing... probably sounds like i might have a short somewhere i think
  9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

crap in the connectors by the light heads....guaranteed..or water in the light lenses
  10. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

With that new information... I agree with Dissociative. One other thing you may want to check is your switch. It just may not be good enough and if you can get a stronger switch that may just help it more!