1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Power Supply Compatibility

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by JCI Trans, Feb 13, 2010.

1. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I have a whelen edge bar with an SL6 power supply that has just stopped operating. I was looking online for a new one, and i came across both SL6 and EB6 power supplies. They appear to have the same plug style and look just about the same. Is there a difference between these 2 and are they interchangeable? Looks like 3-6 here tuesday AM so the bar went back on the truck, ill just use the flashers for now. Thanks in advance for any input. :drinkup:
  2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Before you dump the old power supply... Where is it mounted? Have you checked the Fuse? Have you checked your Ground? Last but not least...Have you checked your switch?

If it just stopped working it could be any of those... Your supply should be mounted in a dry place like under your seat or something like that.
  3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

its an edge lightbar, so its mounted within the lightbar. I pulled it out, fuse is good and i bench tested it. It makes a crackling sound and intermittently fires 2 of the tubes. The bench test was done without the switch, hooked directly to a battery.
  4. daninline

daninline Senior Member

maybe you have a bad strobe
  5. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

if it's crackling like you say...you'll need to replace the supply...call around to some of these emergency lighting places and/or give Whelen a call...you can probably pick a new one up for around $125 with your exchange.
  6. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I have found a few online, but i was wondering what the differences are between the sl6 and the eb6.
  7. firemt036

firemt036 Junior Member

federal signal and star pak are compatible and cheeper connectors are the same
  8. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Best I can tell, an SL6 is for use with high current 9000 series lightbars, and replaces a 2ZSO power supply. The EB6 is for use with low current 9000 series lightbars, to replace a 2ZFO power supply.
    How all that relates to your Edge, I dunno, but I'll bet John at Safety Lighting knows for sure.