1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen power supply: bad unit question and recommendation sought

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Woodland, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Not sure if this is the best category for this question but it's on my truck so here goes...

I have had a Whelen CS240 power supply in my truck for the last 3 or 4 years and it has been great. The last snow storm it stopped working. I brought the truck to the local Chevy dealership to have a couple of things done and mentioned this. When I went to pick up the truck, they told me that the back of the power supply "melted", so they pulled the fuse and said don't use it. The attached pic is what I found. I don't really know much about the workings of these units so I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Based on that info, should I be concerned that something in the wiring, away from the power supply, caused this issue that might prevent me from replacing the power supply. It is, or was, wired to the factory push button on the dash (truck is a '04 K2500). Is likely that the power supply itself was the problem, so simply replacing it won't be an issue?

If simple replacement is an viable option, is there another power supply that could be substituted for this one that might be less costly? I have seen this particular model available online for about $100. This unit seems to have some "extra" features that I really don't need such as multiple/selectable flash patterns. My only real criteria would be that the new supply provides the same brightness. I plow in some busy areas where visibility is very important.

2. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Here is the picture...

cs240.jpg

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Where was the power pack at in the truck?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like water damage. Kinda see some green going on there

5. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

The unit was behind the driver's seat, essentially on the floor board so water damage could definitely been the issue. I plow with the window open a lot. I had assumed that it was a sealed unit so a little moisture wouldn't be an issue.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's why I asked where it was. Replace and move over to pass side. Looks like it got wet.