1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Mini Edge Question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by DeereFarmer, Jan 6, 2010.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Does anyone know if you can get takedown lights facing both forwards and backwards on the Whelen Mini Edge? Ideally I'd like two sets of takedown lights and a set of alley lights as well. Are the takedowns bright? Any thoughts?

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I know you can get on one side for sure...Yes they are bright. Give your local Whelen rep a call and ask him if that's do'able and how much more it would cost. It may be a special order bar so it may cost you some big bucks.

Call Whelen themselves and ask. You may get better information than with a rep but not a price.

3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

yah ive seen them like that before ... so you want 3 pair of lights ..... i believe whelen makes a bracket that takes your work lights and makes them more of an angle into your bed instead of straight forward.

4. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

are you getting a strobe or led bar? i have the new led takedowns and they are bright as he!!. the halogens are really bright too. im not totally sure on getting all 3. my bar has them but its an all custom bar. if u can only get 2 i would get takedowns and rear work lights. i rarely use my alleys

5. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Well there is no doubt it could be done in a permenant model, but I don't think Whelen would build it. One important thing to keep in mind though, the power input is only 14 awg. You should either go with LED's or use a dual throw switch so that you will only be able to run the front Td's OR the rear worklights. Either way though, you will have to custom build the bar.

6. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i remeber the older style you could it is a special order

7. DeereFarmer

I'm up in the air right now, but I'm probably going to go with a LED bar, but may end up with a strobe bar. Worst case I'll have the takedowns facing forward and just mount some work lights on a backrack on a seperate switch.

8. SafetyLighting

I'm curious, are you using the takedowns when you plow?

9. SafetyLighting

Lancaster........ you lost a firefighter in the line of duty a few years ago, right?

10. DeereFarmer

I'd be using the takedowns more for when I'm not plowing. I live on a horse farm and always need more light infront me. I don't want a big KC lightbar and figured that I might use the takedowns for plowing when it is not actually snowing for a little extra lights. If I mounted them facing backwards it would be more for a back up light.

Yes we did lose a firefighter a few years back. Hit this little town pretty hard. Our firefighters are a great group of guys here... all volunteer. At my farm we had a girl get kicked in the face by a horse early one Sunday morning a few years ago. Within I swear 5 minutes we had multiple Fire/EMS on scene and the ambulance shortly behind. Really made a lasting impression on me. I'll hopefully be joining up in the spring when my life calms down a little.

11. SafetyLighting

Yeah, I remember it. It's never easy. I had been a vollie for a long time.

As far as the bar, it is definitely possible, I just don't know if it is cost effective. Are you going to mount the bar to a backrack or straight to the roof?

12. DeereFarmer

I'd mount it to a backrack.

13. SafetyLighting

Ok, just be aware that the farther back on the truck it is, the less light you will have on the ground in front of you because of the roof line. Please let me know if you need any pricing.

14. DeereFarmer

Will do. I appreciate all the help.

15. SafetyLighting

You are more than welcome.