1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Mini Edge 9m Magnetic Mount thoughts/question...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jfalkingham, Nov 8, 2005.

1. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Junior Member

I have read it around the forum that you gotta be careful with any mag mount on your hood. Here is my story:

I have an F350 super cab, 1 whelen mini edge 9m magnetic mount. All my jobs are within 10 miles of my house. I won't be driving over 45-50 with the light on the truck.

1. Do you think mags alone will hold it? (I may put a wafer thin vinyl layer under the mag for protection.

2. What about putting a layer of silicone on the mag, then mounting to the roof fo additional grip? It will also help protect the paint from scratches....

Of course with silicone on there plus the 95lb pull mags, I don't think I will be pulling it off between snow days!

2. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

I used the whelen mini edge 9m magnetic mount last winter and I didn't have any problem at all. You have to make sure to leave it on the roof before it snows, otherwise it will be very difficult to clean the roof top and the magnetics won't grip that easily.

3. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I used to run emergency calls for a volunteer fire department with magnetic lights on the roof and never had one blow off......

I also wrapped the mags with duct tape......

Derek

5. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

the only time mine fell off was when I smacked a clearance pole on a parking deck. What was funny about it, is it's leading up to the top level, once you get past the arch on the entrance, the only limit is the sky.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Is'nt it a little hard on your eyes having a lightbar on the hood? :confused:

7. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Junior Member

:cool: I wear my sunglasses at night, so I can, so I can.....

hood should have been roof :sleeping:

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats what I was thinking but I thought I would check to be sure...You never know with some people.:bluebounc