1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Mini Century or Responder

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by dirtymartini, Feb 15, 2014.

1. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

I need a brighter amber light for my plow truck, I have been looking at the Whelen mini Century 16 or 23 inch or the Whelen LP series Responder. What are the differences? Of course I want the most bang for the buck but ultimately I want the brightest most attention getting light for under $300

2. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Responder hands down. I just bought this last week. It's the brightest mini bar I have ever seen. I visited strobesnmore to compare all their lights in person. The responder blows away every light in the show room. I had the mini pinnacle before and I thought it was bright. My new whelen blows it away.
    It throws light everywhere and far it bounces off everything far down the road etc.

The sales rep let me take a few bars out to my truck in the bright daylight to compare. Nothing touches the light output from the responder.

3. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

Whelen mini Century 23" is brighter them the Responder I own both

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Responder....

5. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

I think the 23" Mini Century is a few dollars less also. How big is the responder...16" ?

6. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Could you post a side by side vid if possible? My responder has the lin6 LEDs which are brighter than the older con3 led

Does your century have the clear or yellow lens? The one I saw had the yellow lens and I thought it was not as bright.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  7. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I just bought the mini 16 this season, I like it but it's the first I have ever had. It's bright very bright however during the day I would like a little more. It's a good lightbar though, and I have the clear dome. My next truck will have a fullsize though, liberty or justice!

8. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Any daylight pics of them in action?

9. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I will look

10. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ours are Responders and they are def. one of the brightest Ive ever seen even during the day. they must have come down in price, we paid 366.00 ea for ours. They are too bright at night, many times if its on I see people with eyes squinted almost shut and a pissed off look on their face when Im close, that in it self is dangerous. You definitely see green dots for about 20 minutes after looking at them.

12. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

13. Brian Young

Doesn't look like it. The brightness depends on the angle your looking at it as well as the flash pattern. The faster the flashes are the dimmer they seem to be. I have all of ours set on where all lights go off at the same time for 4 flashes then it alternates in strobe, each side 2 times very fast then back to all flashing 4 times. When they all flash its much brighter then when its doing the alternating strobes. I just looked, ours are the Responder LP with aluminum bases. They come with a nice long heavy duty cig. plug with on/off and another button to switch patterns. I believe they have like 47 patterns to choose from,lol

14. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Would I be better off with a Mini Halogen or Mini Strobe for cost vs light output? I would really like the Responder but if there is a way to get the same light output for less money I'm all ears!

15. Brian Young

I had a Whelen Guardian dual strobe that was super bright after I put a clear outer lens on it and 1 clear inner dome and a amber dome on the inside. That bar goes for around 160ish and the clear lens and clear inner dome were around 75ish

16. Brian Young

That light I just mentioned lasted me about 5-6 years then the plastic belly broke where you screw the lens cover on. We rtv'ed it and gave it to a sub we used and he said it still worked fine, then he sold his truck....I have to get that back from him,lol

17. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

18. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Im running the Guardian and at night it is bright and been using mine for 5 yrs.

19. Brian Young

Yep thats the one and it looks like it already has a clear lens. The clear inner dome really gets attention! I even have one laying in our shop if you are interested

20. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Thanks, I may just order that from Strobesnmore. Of course I'm sure there will be something bigger and better by then.

Maybe I'll step up to the Responder in a couple of seasons. I'm just getting back into Snow Plowing after being dormant for quite a few years.

I'll send you a PM about the clear inner dome.