1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whelen mini century cig plug

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by wils5150, Dec 26, 2013.

1. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

I am going to hack the plug off and wire it to a switch. What gauge wire should I use to lengthen it? I have some trailer plug wire its 18 gauge I believe. Not sure if I should go bigger.

2. CrimsonSnow

CrimsonSnow Junior Member
    from Midwest

I did the same. Went with 14 ga.

3. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

Thanks crimson I was leaning that way. did you hook up a momentary switch?

4. CrimsonSnow

CrimsonSnow Junior Member
    from Midwest

I installed with a "add a fuse" on an switched accessory terminal and ran the wire to a lighted LED switch. Grounded on metal support for dash.(other vehicle grounds located here as well). Ran a wire to the back and top of cab. Out the 3rd brake light. Used a ground there as well for beacon light. Used heat shrink, rubber grommets and zip ties on all connections and wire runs.

Did not want to take a chance and leave that beacon light on when I was done. I even thought about that but after being up for 20 to 30 hours plowing you start to not pay attention when you get home.

5. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

Just installed mine today. I got my hands on a used switch box 3 position slide and 4 switches. I ended up replacing a switch with a momentary push button. put the strobe on 1 switch and my back rack spot lights on a another one, Ran all the wires out the cab vent and put a quick disconect so I can take the light off the roof when I dont need it. only snag was wire color. in the whelen instructions red is power but the cable had no red. instead it was a green wire. The strobe and the rack lights work great only thing to do is clean up the wiring on the back rack.