1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Messenger bar for plow truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by shadow, Feb 20, 2008.

Should I use a whelen messenger

1. Yes, it could help your business

2. Maybe. You should start with vehicle lettering and see if that works first.

3. Not sure. People don't pay attention anyway so it could be a waste of time

4. No, It looks cheep and stupid. Are you begging for work?

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

I got a Whelen Messenger I plan on using on my plow truck. Does anyone else use one on there trucks? I figured I can get custom messages so I
    was thinking that when I'm parked somewhere like at dinner or something that I could have it scroll something like "For Hire" and my phone
    number and website address or prices I charge. These messengers can hold up to 128 messages. I found some messages already installed that
    could work for a plow driver. I recorded them but the letters look broken up due to my camera. The letters are crisp and don't flicker. Here
    is a list of messages that could be useful.

Left Arrow (didn't film this one)
    "Right Arrow"
    "Split Arrow"
    "Prepare To Stop"
    "No Stopping"
    "No Passing"
    "Road Blocked"
    "Max FPM"
    "600 FPM"
    "300 FPM"
    "150 FPM"
    "75 FPM"
    "Outer Flash"
    "Split Flash"
    "Random Flash"
    "Warning High Winds"
    "Roadwork Slow Down"
    "Caution Men on Highway"
    "Caution Narrow Road"

I am getting another messenger in a lightbar and am thinking on hooking them together like whelen shows so I can have them facing both front

and rear. If I use the flashing patterns, I wouldn't have to use my arrow stick so I can free up some space.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/66lvlErSjxY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/66lvlErSjxY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

is there a way to stop the letters from moving like they are? can you just make them flash?

they seem a little hard to read.

thats a really cool lightbar.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Damn Thats Bad Ass Man.
  4. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

The letters actually just flash from one word to the next. My video camera makes it look like a dark line is moving through the words and made them appear fuzzy. I think there is around 700 leds on it so it does have a clearer look in person. I can read it without my glasses from across the room.

I didn't know whelen made these until I came across one on ebay. I am still learning about them but it looks like they fit the edge 9000 and edge 9M series bars.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Can i ask how much those go for $$ wise? That looks really neat! Can you program your own messsage into it? :) Could have some real fun with that!!!
  6. mulcahy mowing

I just did a little research, those are really cool I also wonder how much they go for?
  7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Very Nice
    How do you like it?
  8. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

I think I saw on whelen's site that it costs around $1,400 for the Option on a new lightbar to get the messenger setup. I think it includes the software and cables to load your own messages.

I just saw a strobe edge 9000 bar with the amber colored messenger leds (they come in red and amber) on ebay go for $450 w/shipping. I got a bar with red leds for $350. This unit pictured I got from 2 people. I got the messenger and controller for about $150 total. I have a bar to put it in so maybe the bids stayed low because of not having a bar with it. There are 2 types of controllers. The difference is, one you have to use the arrow button to go to the message you want. The other, like mine, you can enter the number you want to go to. I still need to get the programming kit to enter my own messeges. I read there is a place you can send your unit to to get custom messages entered in it. It costs $27 per message. I think the programming kit from whelen costs $350 so depending on your needs to would be better to send it out to get programed.
  9. mulcahy mowing

do you have to mount it to a bar?
    can you just have it mounted to the truck?

sorry for all the questions i just think thats really cool.
  10. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

I think it's awesome. :) I was nervous because I was getting the 2 parts from different people and was worried it wouldn't work. I just got the controller a few days ago and tested it out yesterday and I am surprised at how bright it is.
  11. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

No problem. It does have to be in a bar. I was looking at it and figure I could make a cover out of metal to enclose it and mount it by itself. I will take a pic of it so you can see what the unit looks like with the lens off.
  12. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

Here is some pics of the messenger unit. The cover lens is just a normal lens for the edge 9000 bar. The controller has a wire to hook to your dimmer so the keys light up.

13. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I think that's cool.
  14. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I'd get in trouble with it showing "Custom" messages while going down the road if someone was being stupid....
  15. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I think its a good idea..........I would probably do the same as the above poster. lol
  16. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Thats exactly what I was thinking.
  17. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

That is the first thing I thought of when I discovered I can get custom messages. I was thinking of using 1 specific message and have that be the one for the pursuit mode. As I understand it, when the wire is activated for pursuit it displays a message overriding what was showing.

I got my bar today with another messenger. This one is red. I took a little video of it with some different messages. It has some blue lens on it I will replace with amber. My video camera can't seem to capture the flashes right. It looks slower flashing in the video then it is and still shows the lines in the message that aren't there. I haven't decided if I will put the amber messenger in the front panel of the bar or not.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysrsQih5Uq0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysrsQih5Uq0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>