1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Linear LED

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cti531, Oct 10, 2010.

1. cti531

cti531 Member

I am looking for a mini lightbar. Never had anything other than a rotator so looking for some information and advice.

What is Linear LED technology?

I have been looking at a few lightbars. The Whelen Mini Justice and Mini Liberty are two of them. I actually like the looks of the Justice better but it says the Liberty has the newer linear technology. Is it really that much brighter or better lightbar?

I also looked at a cheaper lightbar called the Able2 Sho Me that looked very nice for half the price. That said it uses 5mm LED. Once again I don't know what that means.

Basically I'm looking for a quick education on what to look for. I'm going for maximum brightness.

2. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

linear will spread the light out to cover off angles better
  3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

LEDs are Light Emitting Diodes. In short when properly configured they will last very long some to the tune of 100K hours. Whether or not that actually happens is up in the air but it for sure will outlast an incandescent bulb. BUT you pay for it. I have not used Whelen or other name brands yet but I know I have had a hard time finding a manufacturer that actually knows how to make a correct LED setup meaning having the resistors for the series or circuit set up for the correct voltage a vehicle actually runs on. Not to say someone doesnt...I havent seen it yet. Lots of people here like Whelen and thats who I will be trying when the time comes.
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

For half the price, the sho-me you were looking at was probably a gen1 led setup, they're not bright at all, and would be a waste of money. However, the Sho-me Luminator is a very very nice light, I have 2 of them. You can't stare at them for any amount of time, even in bright daylight without seeing spots. They also automatically dim in lower light situations.

Comparing Whelen TIR LED to LIN LED, the LIN's are a tad brighter and spread the light at a wider angle. The linear technology is newer and brighter, commonly referred to as gen3 or gen4 depending on the manufacturer. Typically with LED lightbars, you get what you pay for.
  5. cti531

cti531 Member

Thanks guys! I appriciate the help and have also been doing a lot of research myself. I have narrowed it down to two choices. The Whelen Mini Justice or the Sho Me Mini Luminator.

The best prices I have seen are the Whelen at $500 and the Sho Me at $400. The Whelen is $100 more but it is also 5 inches wider. So I guess if you go by the inch they are both $22 per inch (j/k, sounds good anyway).

Anyway I know the Whelen and Sho Me have been covered on here before and I have read a lot of the posts but is there anyone out there that has actually had both of these or seen both of these side by side in person? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks again!!!
  6. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

go with the whelen you will be happy