1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Lin3 on plow or plow frame?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Hubjeep, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I have a couple amber Whelen Lin3 light heads I would like to put on my plow. I ordered up some LED hideaways for the rear of the Jeep so that's covered.

My primary concern is when pulling out of a driveway onto a road perpendicular to the driveway and having cars see me.

I thought of these two spots, I have never seen anyone mount a light head on the actual plow (obviously nicely sheathed wiring allowing for trip forward will be needed) , but thought it would be a neat idea, especially since my plow has a hollow channel that would protect the light head, I am now wondering if snow would pack up against it squelching the light. :confused:

A better option is probably the second I have here in the pic, it is low enough were I won't see any glare, but out front enough to get noticed as I nose out onto the road.

[​IMG]

2. DHDB

DHDB Member

Do you think the vibration absorbed by the plow would damage the light (bulb)?

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I've done option 2 with nova slultra's no problem at all, put them high enough that about half was over the blade when raised so was still flashing and be seen to the front, blade down, well never a problem, no glare really from mine. and the way they stand out down a road when you back out an entrance, is just amazing.

4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

not really an issue for leds

5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Cool, thanks that is what I am looking for.

X2 about vibs not being an issue for LED's, I am more concerned with snow packing around them and less visibility when the plow is angled.

-John

6. DHDB

DHDB Member

7. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

if you buy the whelen tir series, they come with the rubber grommet, not only is that for corrosion resistance, but it also acts like a shock absorber. Also I wouldn't put them on the blade it self, Put them on the frame, and use the Deutsch waterproof connectors. wont corrode. And when conecting to the light head, use 3M heat shrink weather proof butt end connectors.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  8. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I'd put them on the headgear, way too susceptible to damage being mounted on the plow. I have the vertical TIR3's mounted on the light tower just as you've shown in option 2, the higher the better. I also made a flange and mounted 2 LIN3's facing forward, again high up to be seen over the plow. They work good up there. I'd have smashed them within the first couple storms if they were mounted on the plow itself. DOT's put them on the backside of the wing, but IMO they're less susceptible to damage than a pickup plow (no backdragging, tight quarters, etc.).

10. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

plow lights

Whelen Products makes a 2 unit per side LED warning light made for plows / wings I dont personally have them but have seen them on other trucks and are very brite and visiable at 45 and 90 degree angles and with Whelen you know your getting quality products

11. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

12. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

kwikwire plow markers

I talked to Kwikwire and they informed me that these lighted plow markers are only Single Filament lights not Double they can be wired to your Parking lights or Turn signals /Hazard Lights if you want them to flash
    I also think thses are kool lights I ordered mine already I just hope they are as brite as the pictures show

13. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

FOX-SNO-REMOVAL Senior Member

Let me know how you like them when you get them. Cause i think im gonna order a couple of sets. Take pics lol

14. jcyonker

jcyonker Member

I just mounted a pair of the Whelen Linz6 Amber on the side of my plow frame. I ran it through braided cable loom so that it would protect the wire and match the plow hook up. I connected the wires to a 4 connector trailer wiring kit. I put one end on the plow side and one on the truck side. It is amazing how much light you get from the side. I don't have any picks yet, but will try to get some on here. I think that having them on the frame is lower on the front end so you aren't blinded by the light. I know that Whelen makes lights that go on the plow itself, but they are kind of bulky and silver.