1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen lightbar weak strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by daninline, Jan 19, 2010.

1. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Hey everyone I have a Whelen mini 9M that the strobes are blinking weak, I'm thinking the power supply is bad or going. anyone have any info on this. can these power supplys be fixed

.I might be selling a Edge 9000 soon that needs lenses

2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Well, first make sure it isn't in low power mode. Other than that, you can send(or bring) the PS to Whelen, they may be able to fix it.

3. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

bad tube the 9m power supplys are encapsulated

4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

1 bad tube can cause the whole light to get weak... PS may also be going... give Whelen a call and they may be able to help you out.

5. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I'm still messing with it I was trying to unplug some of the strobes to see if there was a bad one all ready checked fuses and I did see the PS is just a swap out unit.
    this light is only a little over 2 years old with 4 strobes alleys and work lights so I think it's worth the PS replacement

6. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

if its only 2 years old then send it back to whelen, they have a full 5 year warranty.

7. daninline

daninline Senior Member

No Sh*t they do :) if thats the case it will be going in for repair tommorow morning

8. fireboy6413

Just give them a call, they will give you their address, then just ship it back to them, in the event its out of warranty they usually have a flat rate to repair their products, which is much less then buying new. But yours should still be under warranty since its 2 years. I see your in CT, here is their address, maybe you can just drop it off if yor not too far
    51 Winthrop Road
    Chester, CT 06412-0684
    (860)526-9504 Fax(860)526-4078

9. daninline

daninline Senior Member

the 5 year warr if for LEDs only power supplys and strobes are only 2 years and it's just over 2 years old

10. fireboy6413

Its for strobe power supplys as well, Like I said, if its something thats out of warranty, they usually have a flat rate fee, which is alot less then buying the parts new. Give them a call in the morning, ask to speak to one of the tech guys, explain to them whats the problem, they are real good guys that work in the tech dept. they will give you an idea of what it can be, or usually they know right off the bat, then they will tell you if its covered or not

11. daninline

daninline Senior Member

thanks will do, I'll give them a call while on the road, long day of driving coming up about 300 miles or more :dizzy:
    can't wait to get it all setup and running, thanks for the info

12. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

just drive to chester

13. daninline

daninline Senior Member

thats the plan I have the time Thursday after some sanding :drinkup:

14. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

they can even fix it on the truck

15. fireboy6413

keep us posted

16. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

not necessarily .... if one tube goes out the rest still blink as normal ... i had an old mini edge ... just replaced the turbo64 strobe tube ...

17. daninline

daninline Senior Member

well I talked to one of there tech guys and he thinks it's a power supply and there not under warranty but under a pro rated warrany it will cost $130 for a power supply unless someone has one cheaper.
    Or is it better to just get a newer lightbar

18. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

19. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

That's not right either. I've serviced plenty of whelen strobe bars that act strange when one tube fails. The outlets are fired in pairs, so one bad tube can effect the other sibling.

20. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I even tried to unplug the strobes one at a time no change.
    I tested all the voltages and they look good going into the power supply