1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen light recommendation

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cleansweep007, Oct 30, 2008.

1. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Help me out plow guys !!!
    I am in search of a good light that will show up day or night for my snow removal business. In search of a couple magnet mount lights for our trucks. I was looking at the whelen guardians tonight and they dont look too bad. Main concern showing up during the day time. I want no excuse for people not seeing us but it can't break the bank either. Thought the guardian looked like a good halogen light for us. Any suggestions or comments are needed. Seems like whelen is the brand a lot of you guys use.
    Thanks for your help and happy plowing !!!

Tim Aten
    Clean Sweep Lawn Care serving the cedar valley area.
    www.cleansweeplawncare.com

2. NorthSideSnow

NorthSideSnow Junior Member

Its hard to beat Federal Signal for reliability.

3. OSLIGHTS

OSLIGHTS Member
    from Florida

All depends on what you want to spend.. What kind of money per truck? I will give you recomendations by price level...

Whelen G1 Rotator- Halogen, 1 year warranty

Whelen G7 Dual Strobe- Strobe, 2 year warranty

Whelen Responder- 6 LED Modules 5 Year warranty

4. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I have two of the highlighter halogen versions, they are very bright.

5. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Consider amp. draw too, -unless that is not an issue with your trucks. LED's have very low draw, and great reliability. You pay a little more up front but down the road they really can save you headaches. Personally I run a Whelen Mini Liberty LED Mag Mount. For me it's a great little light, excellent day time visibility and at night you just can't miss it! I don't like what I call "flash back" at night so this light with the four corner linear LED's works for me. Good luck.

6. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Sho-Me is good to

7. cleansweep007

Where is a good website to check out these whelen lights ?

8. 01SMOKINSD

01SMOKINSD Junior Member

I would recommend the Code 3 mini 420. Its a halagen bar thats very bright and very reasonably priced. I have run one for about 6 years now, clear dome red filters for a vol fire dept im on and dont have 1 complaint. I would recomend the suction ccup/ mag mount over the plain magnetic mount for the simple reason of not leaving rust rings on the roof of your truck. Neither light will blow off, have personally been over 90mph and never had any trouble. Should be able to pick one up for under $130. Good website to check out is www.lshlights.com or www.galls.com. Good luck!

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

lshlights.com can take FOREVER to ship something (took them two months to ship two strobe bulbs to my friend) Strobesnmore.com seems to be great to deal with and has a good selection as well!

10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

11. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

12. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

13. cleansweep007

The only prob i have is my truck is a extended cab and those led and strobe bars are so short they kind of get lost on my roof with so much space on the roof.

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

You may want to invest in a full size LED bar, but that gets expensive quick.

15. cleansweep007

I was thinking about a whelen justice mini light bar. You guys have any thoughts on these light bars. They look fantastic day or night. During the day time is big for me so what do you think ?

16. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I have one, I have videos and pics on the 2nd page,

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=63458

17. cleansweep007

Hey does anyone have a video of the whelen mini justice on their truck. I have seen the promo video from the manufacturer but my more interested on a vehicle video. Also any recommendations for a light that works good for a extended cab truck.
    Thanks !!!

18. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

refer to the link I just posted above. I have several videos on the bar on my truck at night and in the day. they are on the second page. and its on an ext cab dodge dakota with a camper shell.

19. Mike - Tac 2

Mike - Tac 2 Member

I would think that if someone was that close to your truck that they can't see a mini-bar, it's probably too late. They'll surely see it before that time. Unless you mean cosmetically.

20. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I have a Ford with the extended cab, the Whelen mini LFL Liberty mag mount works just fine for me! I don't need anything more for plowing. It gives PLENTY of warning!