1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen light bar on 03?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Surfside, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Surfside

Surfside Member

Has anyone mounted a Whelen Edge 9000 lightbar on a 03 dump? I really can't decide if I should mount it to the roof or the dump itself. :dizzy: The roof is more than likely the place it will end up. Will the factory stock switch work with this light, it has the siren and all wiring. Any input would help:drinkup:

2. If it's a standard Edge 9000 it probably has two 10 or 12 gauge wires on it, one positive and one negative that should be wired directly to 12 Volts. The rest of the control wiring, which will be many 22 gauge wires of differing colors depending on the options on the bar, works on very low amperage and the truck circuit can more than handle it.
    You probably will have to go with the roof mount since the stock Whelen cable on those won't be long enough to go the length of the dump body and back up the frame to the cab.
    Good Luck.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would mount it to the dump box itself if at all possible. Just me talkin though...:)

4. Surfside

Surfside Member

:dizzy: The lightbar is going on the dump, but the bar came complete with siren (no im not installing:nono: Has box for contolls of light alley ,take down frt rear strobes ect. and the bar wiring has pos neg shield and then seperate wire blk wht blu gry shield? how do i make this work? P.S. 15' of cable came with it its going to be close, what about a quick connection?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

If it was mine I'd splice in some 12 ga. speaker wire, especially since I have like 200 ft. of it.

Seriously though, the switch for a roof light is best suited for LED lightbars since they draw so little.

6. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

ya if you run it from the dump your going to have to run the wires alllllll the way down the dump and back up the frame of the truck into the cab, thats alota wire.

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what I did. With my whelen 9mm. Here is the only good pic I have of it. I built the alumium swing bracket for it. So it stays level while using my under tailgate spreader. It was a royal pain to make it all work. But its slick!!!!!!!!!!

lightbar.jpg

8. FFD411

FFD411 Junior Member

whelen.com

The whelen web site has good wiring diagrams. I'd start there if your not sure about colors of wires. Plus you may want to think about relays to control the strobes...just my two cents.

9. Surfside

Surfside Member

Light bar is mounted on roof wiriring is done thru frame to cab ....... 10G red, black,shield? Next wire is 12 or 14 g shield?, gray, blue.? pos to batt.,, neg and shield together? blue, gray ,shield?

10. Surfside

Surfside Member

Sorry I meant that lightbar is mounted on dump not roof>

11. SurfSide,
    As I stated in my previous post. 15' of cable will not be anywhere close to enough if you're mounting it on the dump body. You'll need something like 25'. Also, as I said, the two 10 gauge wires have to go directly to the battery, they do all the heavy amperage work. The other wires are that go into the switchbox you have are control wires, meaning they control the individual functions of the bar, front strobe, rear strobe, alley lights etc. You'll have to power the control box with some suitable power 15A or 20A but don't be fooled into thinking that circuit does it all, it doesn't. Also, as previously stated, try www.whelen.com for some technical advice.

12. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i would definilty mount it on the roof ... you only have 2 wires the big one for pos and neg connections ... and the other one for control wires ... ( use only whelen switch boxes for that bar ) .... easy connections ... just touch each wire seperately for each function ... any more question just send me a PM ....

13. Surfside

Surfside Member

nod: Well its all done! I went with the dump mount and it did take about 25'... l/r alley, take down, ft./r strobes, wig wag, traffic adv. .......So many lights:yow!: Thanks !

14. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

On the bar you are talking about it should have 2 large black and red that go to postitive and negative on yout battery. You CANNOT hook up the 2 or 3 other wires to anything other than a strobe bar controller that will work with the whelen b-link system. In other words the strobe bar you have can be controlled through only 2 or 3 wires through a system of pulses and such that whelen developed. If you connect the two or three smaller wires to positive or negative you could blow the board inside that controls the alleys, strobes, flashers, etc. You will more than likely need a whelen PCD9S or simmilar controller. Usually if i remember correctly you hook up the grey and blue wire to the black and red wires that come out of the back of the control box on the PCD9S. They are on ebay for around $50 dont pay anymore than that. Also, in order for the bar to fit on your truck whelen says it should be around 52". I am a little knowledgeable about this stuff as im sure you can tell, im no expert but i happen to love bright shiny things! Email me if you need anymore help! Good luck get some pics up when your done! xysport